Capacitance, parallel plates, electric field

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the capacitance of parallel plates using gauss and determining the appropriate gaussian surface. It also touches on the potential limits for two concentric spheres with charges +Q and -Q, with one person mentioning that the plates can be assumed to be infinite if they are close together. There is also a brief mention of whether the capacitance formula applies to a circular or square/rectangle area. However, it is ultimately determined that the specific shape of the area does not affect the calculation.
Chronos000

Homework Statement

To find the capacitance of parallel plates, I am first finding the E field using gauss. However I don't know what the gaussian surface will be. I don't think it will be a gaussian pillbox as the plates aren't infinite, but will it be a sphere??

On a side note, if I have two concentric spheres with radii a<b with charges +Q and -Q, what are the limits of the potential: My thoughts were: b is final, a is initial

Physics news on Phys.org
Assume the plates are infinite if the plates are very close together. Ignore fringe effects.

in that case, do you know if the area quoted in the capacitance for parallel plates is the area of a circle, and not that of a square/rectangle?

( C= A*epsilon/d )

Doesn't matter. It's just the area of your pillbox. It'll cancel.

I would suggest using a cylindrical gaussian surface instead of a sphere for the parallel plate problem. This is because the plates are parallel to each other and a cylindrical surface would enclose the electric field lines between the plates, giving a more accurate calculation of the electric field.

For the concentric spheres problem, the limits of the potential would be a as the initial point and b as the final point. This is because potential decreases with distance from a point charge, so the potential at point a would be larger than the potential at point b. It is important to note that the absolute value of potential is not as significant as the potential difference between two points, which is what ultimately determines the behavior of electric charges.

Related to Capacitance, parallel plates, electric field

1. What is capacitance?

Capacitance is the ability of a system to store electrical charge. It is measured in units of farads (F).

2. How is capacitance calculated for parallel plates?

The capacitance of parallel plates is calculated using the equation C = εA/d, where C is capacitance, ε is the permittivity of the material between the plates, A is the area of the plates, and d is the distance between them.

3. What is the relationship between capacitance and electric field?

The electric field is directly proportional to the capacitance. This means that as the capacitance increases, so does the electric field. However, the relationship also depends on the distance between the plates and the charge on the plates.

4. How does the dielectric material between the plates affect capacitance?

The dielectric material between the plates can increase capacitance by reducing the electric field between the plates. This is because the material has a higher permittivity than air, allowing for more charge to be stored on the plates.

5. What is the significance of capacitance in circuits?

Capacitance plays a crucial role in circuits by storing and releasing electrical energy. It also affects the overall impedance and frequency response of the circuit. Capacitors are commonly used in filters, oscillators, and power supplies.