Need help finding the thrust and exit diameter of a rocket

In summary, a small rocket powered by high-pressure nitrogen is used for attitude control in space. The thrust of the rocket is determined by the equation T = mVe in lbf, with a throat diameter of 1.0 inch and operating at PT = 120 psi and TT = 510R with M = 3.0 at the exit. Using the equation A/A*=(1/M^2)((2/gamma+1)(1+(gamma-1/2)M^2))^(gamma+1/gamma-1), the exit diameter and thrust can be calculated. When the exit Mach number is 5.0 and 7.0, the thrust and exit diameters can be compared.
strine07
A small rocket powered by high-pressure nitrogen (R = 1776 ft-lb/slug/R, gamma=1.4) is used as an attitude control device. In space, the thrust of a rocket is given by T =mVe
in lbf. Find the thrust and exit diameter of this rocket with a throat diameter of 1.0 inch if it
operates at PT = 120 psi and TT = 510R with M = 3.0 at the exit. Then compare the
thrust and exit diameters when the exit Mach number is 5.0 and 7.0.

*I know I need to use the equation A/A*=(1/M^2)((2/gamma+1)(1+(gamma-1/2)M^2))^(gamma+1/gamma-1) but I'm having trouble finding the appropriate values.

ps sorry if this post is in the wrong area, I'm pretty new to this site!

Physics news on Phys.org
You've got everything you need, except for this part. The thrust equation is:

F = m dot * Ve + (pe - p0) * Ae

Calculate the exit area from the equation you listed. You've been given everything else. Or just look up the old tables.

1. How do I calculate the thrust of a rocket?

To calculate the thrust of a rocket, you will need to know the mass flow rate of the propellant and the exhaust velocity. Multiply these two values together to get the thrust of the rocket. You can also use the equation F = m * a, where F is the thrust, m is the mass flow rate, and a is the acceleration of the rocket.

2. What factors affect the thrust of a rocket?

The thrust of a rocket is affected by several factors, including the propellant type, nozzle design, and the combustion process. The size and shape of the rocket, as well as the atmospheric conditions, can also impact the thrust.

3. How do I determine the exit diameter of a rocket?

The exit diameter of a rocket is determined by the nozzle design and the desired thrust. There are various equations and calculations that can be used to determine the optimal exit diameter for a rocket, taking into account factors such as the propellant type and desired exhaust velocity.

4. What is the relationship between thrust and exit diameter of a rocket?

The relationship between thrust and exit diameter of a rocket is complex and depends on various factors such as the propellant type, nozzle design, and atmospheric conditions. Generally, as the exit diameter increases, the thrust also increases, but there is a point of diminishing returns where increasing the exit diameter will not significantly increase the thrust.

5. Are there any online tools or resources available to help calculate the thrust and exit diameter of a rocket?

Yes, there are several online tools and resources available to help with these calculations. Some rocket design software, such as OpenRocket, have built-in tools for calculating thrust and exit diameter. You can also find various online calculators and equations that can assist in these calculations.