Channeltron contamination/cleaning

• Thread starter otg
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker has channeltrons that were placed in a previously oil-contaminated chamber. They have since been cleaned, but the channeltrons were placed in the chamber before the contamination was discovered. The speaker is wondering how to determine if contamination is affecting the channeltrons and how to clean them if necessary. The suggested course of action is to consult the manufacturer for guidance on cleaning.
otg
I have some channeltrons placed in a close-to-UHV environment (~10^-8 torr) where I suspect contamination.
The chamber in which the channeltrons are placed was previously part of an oil contamination accident but has been cleaned. However the channeltrons were placed inside the chamber after the contamination but before it was discovered.

I'm wondering if someone knows

1. how one can know if that is the problem (how does it show on i.e. the signal)

2. if 1, how to clean the channeltron if possible (found something about isopropyl and 150C baking)

thanx

Physics news on Phys.org
I would contact Burle (http://www.sisweb.com/ms/galileo/galileo1.htm) or whoever manufactured your unit.

When oil contaminated my UHV chamber I replaced my MCPs, and had the phosphor screen cleaned and recoated. For the metal parts I scrubbed with acetone, followed by a methanol rinse. Anything that fit into the ultrasonic cleaner was run with acetone first, then methanol.

Cleaning of the chamber has of course been done since the oil was discovered, and I'm about to test the channeltrons (from Dr Sjuts) in a clean environment but I guess you're right that it's best to consult the manufacturer about the cleaning process of the detectors if they turn out to be contaminated

What is Channeltron contamination and why is it a concern?

Channeltron contamination refers to the buildup of unwanted materials on the surface of a Channeltron, which is a type of electron multiplier used in scientific instruments. This contamination can affect the sensitivity and accuracy of the instrument, making it a concern for scientists who rely on precise measurements.

What are the common sources of Channeltron contamination?

The most common sources of Channeltron contamination are outgassing of materials from the instrument itself, residual gases in the vacuum chamber, and particles from samples or external sources. Other sources may include oils, greases, or other contaminants from handling or maintenance.

How can I tell if my Channeltron is contaminated?

Signs of Channeltron contamination may include a decrease in sensitivity or a change in the instrument's baseline signal. In some cases, the contamination may be visible as a film or discoloration on the surface of the Channeltron. Regular maintenance and cleaning can help prevent and identify contamination issues.

What is the best method for cleaning a Channeltron?

The most effective method for cleaning a Channeltron will depend on the type and severity of the contamination. In general, the cleaning process involves removing the Channeltron from the instrument, gently wiping or brushing the surface, and then using a specific cleaning agent or solvent to remove any remaining contaminants. It is important to follow the manufacturer's guidelines for proper cleaning techniques.

How often should I clean my Channeltron?

The frequency of Channeltron cleaning will vary depending on the instrument, sample types, and usage. In general, it is recommended to clean the Channeltron at regular intervals, such as after a specific number of samples or at the end of a project. Regular maintenance and cleaning can help prevent contamination buildup and ensure the accuracy of your instrument's measurements.