Electric Potential V at Point P: Multiple Choice

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the electric potential at point p, which is located between two concentric spherical conducting shells with different radii and charges. The options for the electric potential are listed, with the correct answer being V = K(q1+q2)/3a. It is also mentioned that potential is linear, meaning that the potential at p is equal to the sum of the potentials caused by q1 and q2.
srhly
Can anybody help me on this question, I'm stuck. I have a picture attached for clarification.

Consider two concentric spherical conducting shells. O is at the center of the shells. THe inner shell has radius a and charge q1 on it, while the outer shell has radius b=3a and charge q2 on it. Find the electric potential at point p, where p is in between the two shells and OP= 2a.

Which represents the electric potential V at point p?
1. V = 0
2. V = infinity
4. V = K[(q1/2a)+(q2/3a)]
5. V = K(q1+q2)/3a
6. V = K(q1/a + q2/3a)

I have already found that answer 3 was wrong so I didn't include it.

Attachments

• physicshelp.JPG
    physicshelp.JPG
    8.3 KB · Views: 625
Physics news on Phys.org
Potential are "linear", i.e. V at p = V cause by q1 + V cause by q2.

I can provide a response to this question by explaining the concept of electric potential and how it relates to the given scenario.

Electric potential, also known as voltage, is a measure of the electric potential energy per unit charge at a given point in an electric field. In this case, the electric potential at point P is influenced by the charges on the two concentric spherical conducting shells.

First, we need to understand that the electric potential at a point is dependent on the distance from that point to the source of the electric field. In this scenario, point P is located between the two shells, at a distance of 2a from the center O.

Next, we can use the formula for electric potential at a point due to a point charge, which is V = kq/r, where k is the Coulomb's constant, q is the charge on the source, and r is the distance from the source to the point.

Applying this formula to the given scenario, we can see that the electric potential at point P is influenced by the charges on both shells. The inner shell has a charge of q1 and is located at a distance of a from point P, while the outer shell has a charge of q2 and is located at a distance of 3a from point P.

Therefore, the correct answer for the electric potential at point P would be option 6, V = K(q1/a + q2/3a). This takes into account the contribution of both charges on the electric potential at point P.

In conclusion, understanding the concept of electric potential and applying the formula for electric potential at a point due to a point charge, we can determine the correct answer for the electric potential at point P in this scenario.

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the electric potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in space. It is a scalar quantity, meaning it has only magnitude and no direction.

2. How is electric potential calculated?

Electric potential is calculated by dividing the electric potential energy by the charge at a specific point. Mathematically, it can be represented as V = U/Q, where V is the electric potential, U is the electric potential energy, and Q is the charge.

3. What is the unit of electric potential?

The unit of electric potential is volts (V). It is named after the Italian physicist Alessandro Volta, who developed the first battery.

4. How does electric potential affect electric charges?

Electric potential affects electric charges by determining the direction and magnitude of the electric force acting on the charges. Positive charges move towards areas of lower electric potential, while negative charges move towards areas of higher electric potential.

5. What is the difference between electric potential and electric potential energy?

Electric potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge at a specific point, whereas electric potential energy is the total amount of energy that a charge possesses due to its position in an electric field. Electric potential is a scalar quantity, while electric potential energy is a vector quantity.