Calculating the charge of two concentric conductive spheres

In summary, the homework statement is trying to solve for the potential of an electrostatic conductor, but is not able to do it directly due to the charge on the inner surface of the outer shell.
Miles123K

Homework Statement

sY10yUk.jpg

The solution to this problem is B, and I was able to get the answer by calculating the total potential at ##r = 2a##, however, what I don't seem to understand is why must the voltage be calculated at ##r=2a## but not ##r=3a##.

Homework Equations

##V(r) = - \int_a^b E(r) dr##
##V(r) = \frac 1 {4 \pi \epsilon_0 } \frac Q r##

The Attempt at a Solution

For solving the problem at ##r=2a##, I used the voltages at ##r=a## and ##r=b##
##V(a) = \frac 1 {4 \pi \epsilon_0 } (\frac {Q_1} {a} + \frac {Q_2} {3a}) = 0## where ##Q_1## is the inner charge and ##Q_2## is the outer charge.
##V(2a) = \frac 1 {4 \pi \epsilon_0 } (\frac {Q_1} {2a} + \frac {Q_2} {3a}) = \frac 1 {4 \pi \epsilon_0 } \frac Q {3a} ##
By simple algebra I was able to solve for ##Q_1## and it was B, however, the condition given was ##V(3a) = \frac 1 {4 \pi \epsilon_0 } \frac Q {3a} ##. why do I have to use the argument that an electrostatic conductor have the same potential throughout to work out the potential ##V(2a)## but not directly solve for ##Q_1## at ##r=3a##?

Attachments

• sY10yUk.jpg
    sY10yUk.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 703
Physics news on Phys.org
You seem to be ignoring any charge on the inner surface of the outer shell.

Likes Miles123K
haruspex said:
You seem to be ignoring any charge on the inner surface of the outer shell.
Oh right yes. Thanks for the tip. Now I get it. It's actually three equations instead of two.
Here's my solution:
By writing out the potentials and cancelling out the constants, I got the following three equations:
##q_1 + \frac 1 2 q_2 + \frac 1 3 q_3 = 0##
##\frac 1 2 q_1 + \frac 1 2 q_2 + \frac 1 3 q_3 = \frac 1 3 Q##
##\frac 1 3 q_1 + \frac 1 3 q_2 + \frac 1 3 q_3 = \frac 1 3 Q##
By solving this simultaneous equation I got
##q_1 = - \frac 2 3 Q, q_2 = \frac 2 3 Q, q_3 = Q##
##q_1## is the inner most shell, ##q_2## is the inner surface of the outer shell, ##q_3## is the outer surface of the outer shell.

Miles123K said:
Oh right yes. Thanks for the tip. Now I get it. It's actually three equations instead of two.
Here's my solution:
By writing out the potentials and cancelling out the constants, I got the following three equations:
##q_1 + \frac 1 2 q_2 + \frac 1 3 q_3 = 0##
##\frac 1 2 q_1 + \frac 1 2 q_2 + \frac 1 3 q_3 = \frac 1 3 Q##
##\frac 1 3 q_1 + \frac 1 3 q_2 + \frac 1 3 q_3 = \frac 1 3 Q##
By solving this simultaneous equation I got
##q_1 = - \frac 2 3 Q, q_2 = \frac 2 3 Q, q_3 = Q##
##q_1## is the inner most shell, ##q_2## is the inner surface of the outer shell, ##q_3## is the outer surface of the outer shell.
Looks right.

1. How do you calculate the charge of two concentric conductive spheres?

The charge of two concentric conductive spheres can be calculated using the formula Q = k(Q1/R1 - Q2/R2), where Q is the total charge, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q1 and Q2 are the charges of the two spheres, and R1 and R2 are the radii of the two spheres.

2. What is Coulomb's constant?

Coulomb's constant, denoted by k, is a proportionality constant that is used in the calculation of electric force between two charged particles. It is equal to 8.99 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2.

3. How do the radii of the two spheres affect the charge calculation?

The radii of the two spheres play a crucial role in the charge calculation. The charge is directly proportional to the ratio of the charges and inversely proportional to the ratio of the radii. This means that as the radii of the spheres increase, the charge will decrease and vice versa.

4. Can the charge of two concentric conductive spheres be negative?

Yes, the charge of two concentric conductive spheres can be negative. This can occur if one of the spheres carries a negative charge while the other carries a positive charge. The sign of the total charge will depend on the magnitudes of the individual charges and the radii of the spheres.

5. What are the units for the charge of two concentric conductive spheres?

The units for the charge of two concentric conductive spheres are Coulombs (C). This unit is named after the French physicist Charles-Augustin de Coulomb who first defined the law of electric force between two charged particles.