Is a Passion for Physics Enough to Pursue a Career in Astrophysics?

• Thread starter jonathon_paul
  • Start date
In summary, this person is considering dropping out of college to focus on their passion of physics. They are unsure about the decision but are willing to take all the tedious math and physics coursework to get to a point where they can pursue their passion.
jonathon_paul
I have been out of high school for 3 yrs now and have taken college on and off. I work a lot and find it hard to get what i want out of school because of a physically demanding job. I am going to ditch this job because school is the rest of my life and a check is for a week. I have a HUGE passion for the physical world. So much so that i am thinking I want it to be the rest of my life. I could care less what job ill ever get, or how much money it will bring but that I know everything that i can about it. I want to learn EVERY term, formula, theory and ect. that has been developed. I want to further the human knowledge of what weknow of the universe, and why it is what it is. I am unsure about the decision though. I just don't want to do this to do this. I am willing to take all the tedious math to get to any point. I have recently been teaching myself calc and I am currently learning physics through a work book (thermodynamics, mirrors and lenses, electricity and magn, harmonic motion ect.). I need some advice from someone who is not studying this ONLY for the stature or economics but because of a true passion for the realm. Another problem is, is that i find myself even more inclined to space, in regards to Astrophysics. This is where i think i become confused because my passion to know everything about this particular subject sometimes overtakes my sleep. lol. what do i do??

Physics news on Phys.org
Most people who go into physics aren't in it for the money.

If you're really serious about it, they you have to look into what is necessary to enter an undergraduate physics program at a university. One option (before you "quite your day job") might be to enroll as a part-time student and take one or two physics courses to see how much you really enjoy it.

As far as losing sleep goes, it happens from time to time. But for the most part, it's not really worth it, so the sooner you can leave your work at the office/study room, the better.

hey thanks I am currently doing a ton of self study so i can be able to take a physics course next fall. I am really enjoying what i have been doing so far... thanks for the advice

1. How do I know if I want to pursue a career in science?

There is no one definitive answer to this question as everyone's interests and motivations are different. However, some signs that you may want to pursue a career in science could include a strong curiosity about the natural world, a desire to solve complex problems, and a passion for learning and experimentation.

2. What steps can I take to determine if a career in science is right for me?

One way to determine if a career in science is right for you is to gain hands-on experience through internships, research opportunities, or job shadowing. This will allow you to see the day-to-day tasks and challenges of being a scientist and decide if it aligns with your interests and skills.

3. How can I tell if I have the necessary skills and abilities for a career in science?

Some common skills and abilities that are important for a career in science include critical thinking, problem-solving, attention to detail, and effective communication. Consider taking self-assessment tests or talking to a career counselor to see how your strengths align with these skills.

4. Is a career in science financially stable?

The answer to this question may vary depending on the specific field of science and the job market. However, many careers in science, such as those in healthcare, engineering, and technology, are in high demand and offer competitive salaries. It is important to research the job market in your chosen field to determine its financial stability.

5. Can I have a successful career in science if I don't have a strong background in math or science?

While a strong background in math and science can be beneficial for a career in science, it is not always necessary. Many skills, such as critical thinking and problem-solving, can be honed through experience and practice. Additionally, there are many different fields of science, so it is possible to find one that aligns with your strengths and interests.