Reconstructing operator matrix from subspace samples

In summary, the conversation discusses the reconstruction of a positive definite operator A using "sampling" with non-orthogonal basis functions. The speaker is seeking the best way to estimate the off diagonal elements, with one suggestion being to use linear independence rather than orthogonality. The main concern is determining which parts of the domain can be covered by the small sets of basis functions.
uekstrom
Hi,
I wonder if there is some agreed-upon best way to reconstruct the matrix of a positive definite operator A using "sampling" (like in tomography). More in detail I want to do this:

I have many small sets of basis functions. The sets are in general not orthogonal. I compute matrix elements <i|A|j>, where |i> and |j> belong to the same "set". In other words, in the non-orthogonal basis I know certain diagonal blocks of A, while the other elements are unknown. I want to determine an estimate of the off diagonal elements.

One way of reconstructing A is to simply take any orthogonal basis for the union of all basis functions, and then work with that. However, the orthogonal basis is not unique. My question is if there is a best way of doing this?

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need orthogonality, linear independence is sufficient. And it gives you an entire linear equation system for the unknown ##A_{ij}## not only the diagonal. The question is alone which part of the domain you can cover by your small sets.

What is "reconstructing operator matrix from subspace samples"?

"Reconstructing operator matrix from subspace samples" refers to a mathematical process used in data analysis and signal processing to reconstruct a matrix that represents a linear operator from limited information, specifically subspace samples.

Why is reconstructing operator matrix from subspace samples important?

Reconstructing operator matrix from subspace samples is important because it allows for the reconstruction of a full matrix representation of a linear operator from only a limited number of samples. This can be useful in situations where obtaining a full set of samples is not feasible or where a smaller set of samples is preferred for efficiency or cost reasons.

What are subspace samples?

Subspace samples are a set of vectors that span a subspace of a larger vector space. They can be thought of as a compressed representation of a larger set of vectors.

How is the operator matrix reconstructed from subspace samples?

The reconstruction of an operator matrix from subspace samples involves solving a mathematical optimization problem, typically using techniques such as least squares or convex optimization. This process uses the subspace samples to estimate the underlying matrix and can result in a close approximation to the true operator matrix.

What are some applications of reconstructing operator matrix from subspace samples?

Some common applications of reconstructing operator matrix from subspace samples include image and signal processing, machine learning, and data compression. It can also be used in areas such as computer graphics, medical imaging, and control systems.