Heating Semiconductors: Generating Current?

In summary: The turbine could generate electricity.In summary, using thermoelectric generators or panels of doped semiconductors can potentially generate electricity from waste heat produced by an IC engine. However, the efficiency of these methods is not very high and other techniques, such as using hot water to boil a low boiling point liquid to drive a turbine, may also be viable options. Manufacturers are already working on implementing these technologies in production models to improve overall fuel efficiency.
chhitiz
if we heat semiconductors, so that the energy provided is more than threshold energy will they generate a current?

Engineering news on Phys.org
chhitiz said:
if we heat semiconductors, so that the energy provided is more than threshold energy will they generate a current?

Yes I think so if there is a closed circuit for the current to flow.Like conductors, semiconductor arrangements exhibit thermoelectric effects.

Dadface said:
Yes I think so if there is a closed circuit for the current to flow.Like conductors, semiconductor arrangements exhibit thermoelectric effects.
so is it better to use conductors or semiconductors?
what would be the best material for generating maximum current in the least amount of heat?
can you give me it's specifics?
thanks.

For conductors you can refer to the thermoelectric series(try googling).The further apart the metals are in the series the greater the emf for a given temperature difference.I'm not sure about semiconductors but I assume this depends on the doping across the junction and continues to be a developing technology.Perhaps your best bet would be to get in touch with some manfacturers and ask for copies of their data sheets.

Last edited:
chhitiz said:

There's something confusing about this question, and the thread so far.

A "semiconductor" (at least an intrinsic one) is a material with a band gap typically small enough that the ambient temperature is sufficient to allow for the formation of charge careers (electrons in conduction band and holes in the valence band). This is what distinguish semiconductors from band insulators, whereby in the latter, the band gap is large enough that you don't get free charge carriers at room temperature and possibly over a large range of temperature.

Now, in addition to that, just because you have free charge carriers, it doesn't mean that you'll "generate a current", the same way a conductor doesn't spontaneously generate a current just because it has free charge carriers. You still need either an electric potential, or if you are applying the thermoelectric properties, a thermal gradient.

So that is why I am a bit puzzled by the question.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
There's something confusing about this question, and the thread so far.

A "semiconductor" (at least an intrinsic one) is a material with a band gap typically small enough that the ambient temperature is sufficient to allow for the formation of charge careers (electrons in conduction band and holes in the valence band). This is what distinguish semiconductors from band insulators, whereby in the latter, the band gap is large enough that you don't get free charge carriers at room temperature and possibly over a large range of temperature.

Now, in addition to that, just because you have free charge carriers, it doesn't mean that you'll "generate a current", the same way a conductor doesn't spontaneously generate a current just because it has free charge carriers. You still need either an electric potential, or if you are applying the thermoelectric properties, a thermal gradient.

So that is why I am a bit puzzled by the question.

Zz.

I assumed that he was referring to the semiconductor analogue of an ordinary thermocouple using,for example, PN junctions instead of two different metals

There are plenty of examples of photovoltaic cells where light causes the generation of a voltage. Solar panels are a collection of such cells.

If you heat one side of a Peltier Cell, you get a voltage generated across the terminals of the device.

Last edited:
vk6kro said:
There are plenty of example of photovoltaic cells where light causes the generation of a voltage. Solar panels are a collection of such cells.

If you heat one side of a Peltier Cell, you get a voltage generated across the terminals of the device.

But that is exactly an example of a thermal gradient!

Until the OP comes back and writes more explanation, we're just guessing.

Zz.

The Peltier device is the only one I can think of where heat on a semiconductor device produces a voltage. Provided the other side is kept at a constant or lower temperature, of course.

i was wondering if the heat rejected by an ic engine can be used to charge the automobile battery. what would be the best thing to use?thermoelctric generators or panels of doped semiconductors?could i get any statistics(how much temp diff. produces how much current, etc.)?
thank you

chhitiz said:
i was wondering if the heat rejected by an ic engine can be used to charge the automobile battery. what would be the best thing to use?thermoelctric generators or panels of doped semiconductors?could i get any statistics(how much temp diff. produces how much current, etc.)?
thank you

Yes moden thermoelectric generators (TEG's) use semiconductor junctions and the Seebeck/Peltier effect. They're not particulary efficient but there's plenty of waste heat from an IC engine so cost and reliability are probably more important. Car manufacturers are already seriously working on this and I expect we well eventually see the technology in some production models. Currently BMW has implemented a prototype 200 Watt TEG system and VW has implemented fairly impressive 600W of TEG's which they claim can reduce the load on the alternator enough to improve overall fuel efficiency by about 5%.

See article here : http://www.themotorreport.com.au/19610/vw-and-bmw-dabble-in-thermoelectric-generators/"

Last edited by a moderator:
You could also use a technique borrowed from Geothermal systems.

They take hot water from underground. Use it to boil a liquid with a low boiling point and use the gas pressure from this boiled liquid to drive a turbine.
A suitable liquid is 2 Methly Butane which boils at 28 deg C (82 deg F). This liquid would then be recovered by cooling it back to a liquid and it could be used again.

The turbine could generate electricity.

1. How does heating a semiconductor generate current?

When a semiconductor is heated, it causes the atoms within the material to vibrate and move around more rapidly. This movement frees up electrons, creating more charge carriers in the material. This increase in charge carriers allows for the flow of current through the material.

2. What is the relationship between temperature and current generation in semiconductors?

The relationship between temperature and current generation in semiconductors is directly proportional. As the temperature of the semiconductor increases, so does the amount of current that can be generated. This is due to the increased movement and availability of charge carriers at higher temperatures.

3. Can any semiconductor be heated to generate current?

Yes, all semiconductors have the ability to generate current when heated. However, the amount of current that can be generated may vary depending on the type of semiconductor and its specific properties.

4. Are there any drawbacks to heating semiconductors to generate current?

One potential drawback of heating semiconductors to generate current is the increase in power consumption. As more heat is applied, the energy requirements for maintaining the temperature also increase. Additionally, excessive heating can damage the semiconductor and decrease its overall efficiency.

5. What are some practical applications of heating semiconductors to generate current?

Heating semiconductors to generate current is commonly used in thermoelectric devices, such as thermocouples, which can convert heat directly into electricity. It is also used in solar cells, where the sun's heat can be harnessed to generate electricity. Another application is in temperature sensors, where changes in temperature can be measured by the resulting change in current generated by a heated semiconductor.