Relativity, ultimate rigidity and the speed of light.

In summary: It might give the impression that if the object was graviationally squeezed enough, it would become rigid and thus information would travel instantaneously. In summary, the conversation is about the hypothetical scenario of a perfectly rigid rod and whether information can travel faster than the speed of light within it. The experts explain that this is not possible within the laws of physics and any attempt to explain it would be contradictory. They also discuss the concept in the context of a black hole and its vacuum, concluding that the question cannot be posed within relativity. They provide a link to further reading on the topic.
najd
Hello,

Surfing the web I came across a question posted by someone. Basically the question asked if I were to have a very, very long rod, say 1000 ly long, and at each end I place an observer. If observer A pushes the rod, would observer B instantly detect the nudge?

I do understand that this is pretty much impossible because the nudge would travel at the limited speed of sound in the regular rod, but it got me wondering. Say I have a perfectly rigid rod, with no vacuum whatsoever between the atoms composing the rod. A super compressed rod—a black hole of a rod, so to speak—if I were to use that instead, would observer B instantly detect the nudge?

Or, let me put it this way. Say that a (hypothetical) detector is placed at the far eastern end of a 1000 ly wide black hole. It so happens that a meteor strikes the western end of said black hole and thereby gets sucked by it. Would the detector instantly know of this disturbance, given that both objects are within the event horizon of the black hole?

I hope this makes sense. :P

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no such thing as a perfectly rigid rod. When observer A pushes on the rod, the compression wave will travel down the rod at the speed of sound in the rod. This will be orders of magnitude slower than speed of light.

Yes, that's exactly what I said.

I'm asking if it WERE a perfectly rigid one. My question is purely hypothetical.

There's no such thing as a perfectly rigid rod. Not in condensed matter physics, not in relativity. Your question is along the lines of "what do the known laws of physics say would happen in this hypothetical situation where the known laws of physics are violated?"

najd said:
Hello,

Surfing the web I came across a question posted by someone. Basically the question asked if I were to have a very, very long rod, say 1000 ly long, and at each end I place an observer. If observer A pushes the rod, would observer B instantly detect the nudge?

I do understand that this is pretty much impossible because the nudge would travel at the limited speed of sound in the regular rod
That's right.
, but it got me wondering. Say I have a perfectly rigid rod, with no vacuum whatsoever between the atoms composing the rod. A super compressed rod—a black hole of a rod, so to speak—if I were to use that instead, would observer B instantly detect the nudge? [..]
Atoms consist mostly of vacuum, and the speed of sound will always be less than the speed of light. You can also look at this in another way: infinitely fast signalling is incompatible with relativity, as the Lorentz transformations only can be maintained with a limit speed c (the speed of light) that is less than infinite.

Yes. Exactly. I want an opinion. There's nothing wrong with a hypothetical question. :P

Okay, but say if it happened in a black hole. As I understand, a black hole has no 'vacuum' in it, so what would happen in that case?

You said infinitely fast signalling is impossible, I'm not disagreeing with that. I'm just wondering if the signal in the black hole would travel at the speed of light (delayed detection) or infinitely faster (instantaneous detection). That is all.

najd said:
Okay, but say if it happened in a black hole. As I understand, a black hole has no 'vacuum' in it, so what would happen in that case?

You said infinitely fast signalling is impossible, I'm not disagreeing with that. I'm just wondering if the signal in the black hole would travel at the speed of light (delayed detection) or infinitely faster (instantaneous detection). That is all.

Actually, the classic eternal black hole solutions in GR are all vacuum - they have no matter at all. You could try to say all the matter is in the singularity inside the event horizon, but the singularity is not not part of the universe within the math used for GR (it is not part of the manifold representing the black hole solution).

As a result, your question cannot be posed within relativity. Just like your other version it amounts to: suppose physics were completely different - what would happen?

(Note, if you go outside relativity, there are hypothetical quantum models of maximally compact objects. I don't know it this question could be meaningfully posed in that context, but no such theory is complete or generally accepted yet).

When you push something, the atoms get closer to the other atoms, the electromagnetic force makes them repel etc and the movement or pressure wave gets carried on. Light is an electromagnetic wave and electromagnetic forces or waves cannot travel faster than the speed of light. Also, the atoms that move to create the pressure wave have mass, meaning that they cannot reach the speed of light. So there really is no mechanism for a pressure wave to travel faster than the speed of light. The atoms themselves cannot travel at the speed of light and the force created by the proximity of the atoms cannot travel faster than the speed of light. Also, gravity nor any other force can travel faster than the speed of light. How would you imagine a faster than light nudge propulsion?

You may want to look at <http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/1105/1105.3899v2.pdf>.

Last edited by a moderator:
najd said:
... There's nothing wrong with a hypothetical question. :P

No there's nothing wrong with a hypothetical question, BUT there is nothing useful about a hypothetical question that requests an answer that would be inherently self-contradictory.

najd said:
Yes. Exactly. I want an opinion. There's nothing wrong with a hypothetical question. :P

Any answer other than "this situation is impossible" is false. You can't use the laws of physics to explain something that violates those same laws.

Meir Achuz said:
You may want to look at <http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/1105/1105.3899v2.pdf>.[/QUOTE]

That might actually confuse the OP, as it doesn't stress the Born rigid objects cannot actually exist; and that the trick for rigidity is that the all parts of such an object know how to move to meet the definitional constraints without any signaling.

Hi najd, you may feel that we are being a little dismissive, but this is a very frequently asked question. Here is a link to our FAQ
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=536289

Regarding hypothetical questions, this forum is for discussing mainstream physics, as you agreed to when you signed up for your account. So hypothetical questions about the laws of physics are perfectly ok, but hypothetical questions which contradict the known laws of physics are not.

There is a problem when hypothetical questions contain impossible assumptions. It's a well-known problem.

It's often called a "loaded quetion". See for instance http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Loaded_question&oldid=456457983

A loaded question is a question which contains a controversial assumption such as a presumption of guilt.

Perhaps less appreciated, but also important, is the fact that if you make a impossible assumption, you can prove _anything_. You can waste a lot of time proving impossible things from impossible assumptions if you don't realize that your assumptions were impossible to start with.

The classic example is the perfectly logical valid proof that "if 2+2=5, I am the king of england" by Lewis Caroll. (It was probably inspired originally by Bertram Russel, but I'm not terribly sure of the origin). It's perfectly vald - and it's also total nonsense - because it contains an impossible assumption.

najd said:
Say I have a perfectly rigid rod, with no vacuum whatsoever between the atoms composing the rod.
Hypothetically it would traverse slower than the speed of light because otherwise it would require action at a distance, which is incompatible with general relativity.

1. What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity, proposed by Albert Einstein, is a fundamental concept in physics that explains how the laws of physics appear the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. It includes two main theories: the special theory of relativity, which deals with objects moving at a constant speed, and the general theory of relativity, which deals with objects under acceleration and the effects of gravity.

2. What is the concept of ultimate rigidity in relativity?

The concept of ultimate rigidity, also known as Lorentz-Fitzgerald contraction, is a consequence of the special theory of relativity. It states that objects moving at high speeds will appear shorter in the direction of motion when observed from a stationary frame of reference. This is because the faster an object moves, the more it contracts in the direction of its motion.

3. How does relativity affect our understanding of the speed of light?

According to the special theory of relativity, the speed of light is constant and the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. This means that no matter how fast an observer is moving, they will always measure the speed of light to be approximately 299,792,458 meters per second (or about 670 million miles per hour). This is a fundamental principle in relativity and has been confirmed by numerous experiments.

4. Can anything travel faster than the speed of light?

According to the special theory of relativity, it is impossible for any object with mass to travel at the speed of light, let alone faster than it. This is because as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases infinitely and would require an infinite amount of energy to accelerate it further. However, there are some theoretical concepts, such as wormholes and warp drives, that could potentially allow for faster-than-light travel, but they are currently not supported by empirical evidence.

5. What practical applications does relativity have?

The theory of relativity has many practical applications in modern technology. For example, GPS systems rely on the principles of relativity to accurately measure time and distance. It also explains the relationship between mass and energy, leading to the development of nuclear power and weapons. Additionally, the general theory of relativity has been used to make predictions about the behavior of massive objects in space, such as black holes and gravitational waves, which have been confirmed by observations.