Is it acceptable to post a proof for checking on PF?

• Thread starter pandaBee
  • Start date
In summary, it would be helpful to include definitions for the topics you are discussing, and to ask for criticism on the validity of the argument and the writing of the proof.
pandaBee
And if so, where?
A lot of the times when I am studying a subject (Usually undergraduate upper-div mathematics) I get this gnawing feeling that either what I did was wrong or that there was some way to do the same thing much better and much more efficiently. Is PF an acceptable place to post these kinds of 'questions?'

It would include the topic/question and a proof of said topic/question ending with the conclusion.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it's fine, as long as it's not original research. Keep in mind that the harder it is to follow your arguments, the more likely it is that you will get no replies. So you should make it as easy as possible. Include the relevant definitions so we don't have to look them up.

If the theorem you're proving is an exercise from a book, or if it's an assignment given to you by a teacher, then you should use the calculus and beyond homework forum. If it's just your version of a standard theorem in a book, then you can use one of the math forums. Which one you should choose depends on the topic. There's a forum for linear and abstract algebra, one for topology and analysis, one for differential geometry,...

pandaBee said:
And if so, where?
A lot of the times when I am studying a subject (Usually undergraduate upper-div mathematics) I get this gnawing feeling that either what I did was wrong or that there was some way to do the same thing much better and much more efficiently. Is PF an acceptable place to post these kinds of 'questions?'

It would include the topic/question and a proof of said topic/question ending with the conclusion.

Definitely! And be sure to ask for a lot of criticism on the validity of the argument and the writing of the proof. Both are important. And it is only by tough criticisms that you'll learn.

Thanks for the clarification guys, it's just kind of tough when you don't have anyone nearby to talk things out with (I'm self-studying atm).

1. Can I post multiple proofs for checking on PF?

Yes, you can post multiple proofs for checking on PF. However, it is recommended to only post one proof at a time to avoid confusion and to allow for more focused feedback.

2. How long does it typically take to receive feedback on a proof posted on PF?

The time it takes to receive feedback on a proof posted on PF can vary. It largely depends on the complexity of the proof and the availability of other users to review and provide feedback. It is best to be patient and allow for at least a few days for others to review your proof.

3. Can I post a proof from any field of study on PF?

Yes, you can post a proof from any field of study on PF. The community is made up of individuals with diverse backgrounds and expertise, so there is no restriction on the subject or field of the proof. However, it is important to make sure your proof is clear and understandable for others to review and provide feedback.

4. Is it acceptable to post a proof that I did not create myself on PF?

Yes, it is acceptable to post a proof that you did not create yourself on PF. However, it is important to give credit to the original creator and make it clear that it is not your original work. This will help avoid any issues with plagiarism or copyright infringement.

5. How should I respond to feedback on my posted proof on PF?

It is important to respond to feedback on your posted proof on PF in a respectful and constructive manner. Take the feedback into consideration and consider making changes to your proof if necessary. It is also encouraged to engage in discussions with others to further clarify and improve your proof.