Increasing my acceptance chances

In summary, self-study prior to applying to a graduate program may or may not help you increase your probability of admission, but it is a good way to increase your efficiency once you're accepted.
SOUKRAT
Hi and happy new year to all of you

I am currently working as a junior mechanical engineer since March 2019 and I want to pursue a master degree after having 2-3 years of work experience, I would like to prepare my self from now to increase my acceptance since I would like to study abroad.

I know what program will apply to, what subjects I will study what are the admission tests needed ( TOEFL -may be GRE).
the program which is different than my job role and responsibilities will be something related to energy conversion/turbomachinery.

my question is how to use my time from now appropriately to increase my acceptance?
I was thinking about different activities but I do not know the best one, please consider those activities but not limited to them:

1- to start studying the first courses of grad school as a self-study and reading some papers related to the topic of study
2- to review and catch what I missed out in the undergraduate subjects.
3- to start studying for the admission tests ( TOEFL and so on ) from now.

Thanks to you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
For what it's worth there is a difference between increasing the probability of admission into a graduate program and increasing your ability to do well once you're in. It's not that the two aren't correlated, but self-study of prior undergraduate work or reading up on graduate coursework are in and of themselves, unlikely to influence your probability of admission. They will certainly help you once you're in. The problem, in terms of ranking candidates, is that there is no way to objectively use that (self-study) to stratify you against other candidates.

I can't speak with too much authority on what engineering master's programs typically look for, but certainly high marks on admissions exams will help you. You might try contacting the programs that you're interested in and seeing what they typically look for in the students they admit.

Likes SOUKRAT
I am thankful to you for explaining to me the difference between increasing the probability of getting in and increasing the efficiency when I get in.

Likes berkeman

1. How can I increase my chances of getting accepted into a program or school?

There are a few steps you can take to increase your acceptance chances. First, make sure you meet all the requirements and qualifications for the program or school. Second, highlight your strengths and accomplishments in your application materials. Third, reach out to current students or alumni to learn more about the program and make connections. Fourth, consider retaking any necessary exams or improving your grades. Finally, submit your application early to show your interest and dedication.

2. Does having a high GPA guarantee acceptance?

While a high GPA is certainly a positive factor in the admissions process, it does not guarantee acceptance. Admissions committees also consider other factors such as test scores, extracurricular activities, essays, and letters of recommendation. It is important to have a well-rounded application to increase your chances of acceptance.

3. Are there any specific tips for writing a strong personal statement or essay?

Yes, there are a few tips for writing a strong personal statement or essay. First, be authentic and genuine in your writing. Admissions committees can often tell when an essay is forced or insincere. Second, make sure to answer the prompt and stay focused on a specific topic. Third, use specific examples and anecdotes to support your points. Finally, have someone else proofread your essay for grammar and spelling errors.

4. How important are extracurricular activities in the admissions process?

Extracurricular activities can be an important factor in the admissions process, as they can demonstrate your interests, skills, and dedication outside of academics. However, they are not the only factor considered and do not guarantee acceptance. It is important to participate in activities that you are genuinely interested in and can speak passionately about in your application materials.

5. Is it beneficial to have a well-rounded application or should I focus on one specific area?

Having a well-rounded application is generally more beneficial than focusing on one specific area. Admissions committees often look for students who excel in multiple areas, such as academics, extracurricular activities, and community service. However, if you have a specific passion or talent, it is important to highlight that in your application and show how it has shaped you as a person.