How to Upload Images on PF

• Thread starter Mårten
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses difficulties with uploading and displaying images on a forum thread. The preferred method is to use the URL tags for images included in the main text, while attachments are moderated and do not require additional tags. However, attachments may not always work due to server limitations. The use of external image hosting services is also mentioned as an alternative.
Mårten
Hello folks!

I tried the other day to upload images to a thread I was posting to. I thought the method was to use the Attach Files when writing a post, and then to use the img-tag with the urls to these attachments. But I didn't succeed. Or, I thought it worked, I could see the pics after I'd submitted my post, but other people couldn't see it. And after some hours or a day, even I couldn't see the pics anymore. Btw, this was in the homework area.

So how do you do to upload and show images properly in threads? I know there are free services for uploading images on the web, but often they delete pics after a while. I thought PF had it's own local image uploader, or shouldn't it have that?

Thanks for the fantastic PF anyway! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use the [noparse][/noparse][COLOR="Gray"]URL goes here[/COLOR][noparse] [/noparse] tags when the URL is part of the main text in the post. For uploading attachments, just use the URL without the [noparse][/noparse].

I think it's preferred to use [noparse][/noparse] and have the image be part of the main text. This might have to do with saving space on the server that hosts PF, but I'm not sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Once you've uploaded attachments there is no need for you to use any other tags. They will be moderated however. If you use image tags the picture is generally hosted on another site. As you have mentioned, there are plenty of free image hosting sites.

Kurdt said:
Once you've uploaded attachments there is no need for you to use any other tags. They will be moderated however.
Strange that my attachments were taken away then... :frown: They were schematics for some circuits I had problems with.

P.s. Redbelly - thanks for the image service you recommended me in another thread, I'll try that if it's not working or not meant to upload images directly in PF.

Mårten said:
Strange that my attachments were taken away then... :frown: They were schematics for some circuits I had problems with.

P.s. Redbelly - thanks for the image service you recommended me in another thread, I'll try that if it's not working or not meant to upload images directly in PF.
You can always attach a file using the "manage attachments" section. This does not use tags and does not link to anything.

Evo said:
You can always attach a file using the "manage attachments" section. This does not use tags and does not link to anything.
Well, I did that. Then after posting it said something like "attachment pending approval", and a day later the attachment wasn't there anymore... :uhh: I tried to attach the file again some times in new posts, but the same thing happened.

attachments may not work, I don't think any files can be written to the HD until we swap it out

1. How do I upload images on PF?

To upload images on PF, first log into your account and navigate to the page where you want to upload the image. Then, click on the "Upload" button and select the image file from your computer. Finally, click on the "Submit" button to complete the upload process.

2. What file types are allowed for image uploads on PF?

Currently, PF supports JPEG, PNG, and GIF file formats for image uploads. Other file types may not be compatible and may cause errors during the upload process.

3. Is there a limit to the size of images I can upload on PF?

Yes, there is a limit to the size of images you can upload on PF. The maximum file size allowed for images is 5MB. If your image exceeds this limit, you may need to resize or compress it before uploading.

4. Can I upload multiple images at once on PF?

Yes, you can upload multiple images at once on PF. Simply select all the images you want to upload from your computer and click on the "Submit" button. Note that each image must still adhere to the maximum file size limit of 5MB.

5. How do I edit or delete an uploaded image on PF?

To edit or delete an uploaded image on PF, go to the page where the image is located and click on the image to open it. Then, click on the "Edit" or "Delete" button to make the desired changes. Note that only the user who uploaded the image can make these changes.