Giant Ringed Star: Could it Exist in the Galaxy?

In summary: From the conversation, it seems that there is a discussion about the possibility of a star in the galaxy having a giant set of rings similar to Saturn's, but much larger. The conversation also mentions the challenges and conditions that would need to be met for such a star to have rings, as well as a specific example of a star with a gas torus ring. In summary, the conversation explores the possibility of a star with rings and discusses the conditions needed for this to occur.
ajm133
Might there somewhere in the galaxy by a star with a giant set of rings, just like those of our own saturn, only much bigger?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
ajm133 said:
Might there somewhere in the galaxy by a star with a giant set of rings, just like those of our own saturn, only much bigger?

You mean... like an asteroid belt? Or maybe a protoplanetary disk?

Perhaps, but the star would probably need some moon-sized or planet-sized bodies the herd the materials forming the rings so that they don't coalesce due to gravitation. Also, the materials forming the rings would have to be sized such that they could resist radiative pressure from the star and not get pushed away. Stars appear to be able to clear their environs of dusts quite efficiently.

I believe the blue-giant star Acheron has a gas torus ring around it?

If you mean a star with rings that are proportionally as big and as far away as Saturn's - about 1-2 radii out - that's impossible. That close to a star and it's far too hot for ice (the material of Saturn's rings) to survive.

If you're talking about something more like an asteroid belt, sure - in fact our sun has one.

Cryptonic said:
I believe the blue-giant star Acheron has a gas torus ring around it?

I am unfamiliar with any star of that name. (And it's an odd name for a star, as it refers to a river in Hades, and the ancients usually didn't put hadean features in the sky) Do you have it's Bayer designation?

Vanadium 50 said:
I am unfamiliar with any star of that name. (And it's an odd name for a star, as it refers to a river in Hades, and the ancients usually didn't put hadean features in the sky) Do you have it's Bayer designation?

I apologise, I meant Achernar (Alpha Eridani)! (doh!)

Interesting star.

1. What is a Giant Ringed Star?

A Giant Ringed Star is a hypothetical type of star that is believed to have a large, ring-shaped structure surrounding it. This ring is thought to be made up of various gases and dust particles, similar to the rings around planets like Saturn.

2. How big could a Giant Ringed Star be?

The size of a Giant Ringed Star is still unknown, as it has not been observed or confirmed to exist. However, based on theoretical models and calculations, it is believed that it could range from a few times the size of our sun to several hundred times larger.

3. What would cause a star to have rings?

The formation of rings around a star is not fully understood, but it is thought to be a result of interactions between the star's magnetic field and the surrounding materials. Other factors such as the star's rotation and the presence of a nearby companion star may also play a role.

4. Are there any known Giant Ringed Stars in the galaxy?

To date, there have been no confirmed observations of Giant Ringed Stars in our galaxy. However, some stars have been observed with disc-like structures around them, which could potentially evolve into a ringed structure over time.

5. Why is the existence of a Giant Ringed Star important?

The existence of a Giant Ringed Star could have significant implications for our understanding of star formation and evolution. It could also provide insight into the formation and evolution of planetary systems, as well as the role of magnetic fields in shaping these structures. Additionally, it could expand our knowledge of the diversity of objects in our galaxy and universe.