Water on the Moon: New Science Express Discoveries

• Thread starter Monocerotis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moon Water
In summary, researchers have found that water is pervasive on the surface of the moon, and it may be a valuable resource for future lunar visitors.
Monocerotis
Gold Member
Forget that tired old image of the moon as a entirely dry locale, devoid of any moisture. A recent set of discoveries have found that not only is there water on Earth's sole satellite — but the water is everywhere.

Three papers appearing in the upcoming issue of Science Express outline the discovery of pervasive water found clinging to the surface of the moon. Infrared spectroscope measurements from three different space probes have detected absorptions that indicate the presence of water or hydroxyl (which is, itself, a strong indicator for the presence of water) on the the lunar surface, with one model suggesting water makes up a few tenths of a percent by weight in the optical surface. This water is apparently clinging to the moon's surface, rather than being absorbed by dust.

It's hardly a vast lake, and it won't yet support that lunar agricultural colony you've been dreaming of, but it's far more water than scientists ever expected to find on the moon, and it could prove a valuable resource to future lunar visitors. The researchers have also found that the concentration of water is higher toward the poles, lending credence to the theory that larger deposits of water near the poles, and researchers note that it's possible we'll continue to find wetter lunar regions in the future.

So where did all this water come from? Although meteors or comets may have periodically brought water to the moon, the prevailing theory among the three papers is that solar winds have carried hydrogen to the moon's surface, where it has bonded with the oxygen in the moon's own dust and produced water.

http://io9.com/5366261/confirmed-there-is-water-on-the-moon-and-lots-of-it

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Water appears to be quite common in the universe, and why not Oxygen is the result of processes in 1st generation stars and the universe is full of Hydrogen, water is the obvious final state of these elements. I would bet (this is specultation) that below the lunar surface there are large deposits of ice.

This is fantastic news! But I must wonder why NASA never managed to confirm this prior to India's Chandrayan probe?

I heard this on the news a while ago :D

Cryptonic said:
This is fantastic news! But I must wonder why NASA never managed to confirm this prior to India's Chandrayan probe?

Several probes observed it, but Chandrayaan was the push that convinced the sceptics.

The NASA Moon Mineralogy Mapper Module that was on the ISRO Chandrayaan-1 Probe found evidence of water and hydroxyl in the minerals of lunar soil, something like the equivalent of a few liters of water per ton of lunar soil.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chandrayaan

Last edited:
Yep I have since learned that there was a specific NASA "water-searching" detecting package onboard the Chandrayan vehicle. So, yes, it seems to have been a joint NASA/ISRO discovery. No conspiracy here, keep walking.

It seems like it was suspected for a while, but now it is confirmed.

Which is absolutely WONDERFUL.

I will look at our Moon as "Earth 2" from here on (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067039/ = bzzz Gary Lockwood bzzz 2001). Or maybe "Moon Zero Two" (bzzz http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hM1lsDhSjD8&fmt= ).

This is fantastic news, especially at this point in "history". I imagine if it was back in "Bush/Howard/Blair" era, we wouldn't have even been told about it. I am "hoping" that this discovery triggers a massive space race and that space tourism becomes an imminent reality.

Water on the Moon means DRINKING WATER and OXYGEN. It also means HYDROGEN for propulsion engines.

The FUTURE has suddenly blossomed open.

WATER also means LIFE... hmmm... ? I wonder... ?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the significance of finding water on the Moon?

The discovery of water on the Moon is significant because it challenges previous beliefs that the Moon was a completely dry and inhospitable environment. This opens up possibilities for future exploration and potential human habitation on the Moon.

2. How much water has been found on the Moon?

The amount of water discovered on the Moon varies depending on location and depth, but it is estimated that there could be millions of tons of water spread across the surface of the Moon. This includes both frozen water in the polar regions and water molecules embedded in the lunar soil.

3. How was water detected on the Moon?

The water on the Moon was detected using a special instrument called the Moon Mineralogy Mapper (M3) aboard the Chandrayaan-1 spacecraft. M3 uses infrared light to identify the molecular signature of water in the form of hydroxyl (OH) and water molecules (H2O) in the lunar soil.

4. Is the water on the Moon usable for human consumption?

The water found on the Moon is in the form of ice and is mixed with lunar soil, making it not immediately usable for human consumption. However, with further research and technology, it may be possible to extract and purify the water for future astronauts to use on the Moon.

5. What does the discovery of water on the Moon mean for future space exploration?

The discovery of water on the Moon has significant implications for future space exploration. It could potentially provide a source of water and fuel for spacecraft, as well as support human habitation on the Moon. It also opens up the possibility of using the Moon as a base for further exploration and missions to other planets in our solar system.