Exploring Pair Production: Rules and Resources

In summary, the conversation was about an image from a book on string theory that depicts pair production. The person is asking if there is a resource that explains the progression of this system and if the rules are consistent or dependent on certain circumstances. The expert clarifies that the image is a Feynman diagram, and provides a link for more information. However, they also mention that the diagrams shown do not represent a valid physical process and could be a mistake by the author.
captainhampto
Hey all,

Just like to prefix this question with the statement that I am a computer scientist with a strong interest and passion for physics, so please forgive me if this question is a tad naive. With that out of the way, I have a general question about this image:
Capture.png

It's from "The Little Book of String Theory", a layman book about string theory. From what I can surmise I believe the image is describing pair production. My question is basically this:

Is there a good resource for exactly how this system is progressing? For instance the progression seems to make sense until the last slide where there appears to be a random photon in the electron/positron loop. Are these evolutionary rules consistent or dependent on certain circumstances? I suppose any resource that would elaborate on the evolutionary qualities of this process and processes like this would help out a lot. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
These pictures are known as "Feynman diagrams". The rules for drawing them are quite simple (e.g. see http://www2.slac.stanford.edu/vvc/theory/feynman.html" which I found on Google). Understanding how they arise from quantum field theory is pretty advanced physics though.

EDIT: I should add that the diagrams you've shown don't actually represent a valid physical process. An electron can't just emit photons like that, it would violate conservation of energy in its rest frame. I guess the author just got sloppy in a book written for the general public.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is pair production and how does it work?

Pair production is a process in particle physics where a photon (light particle) is converted into an electron and a positron (anti-electron). This process requires a significant amount of energy and it follows the equation E=mc^2, where E is energy, m is mass, and c is the speed of light. The photon must have enough energy to create the mass of the electron and positron, and any additional energy is converted into kinetic energy.

What are the rules that govern pair production?

The rules that govern pair production are conservation of energy and conservation of momentum. These rules dictate that the total energy and momentum before and after the process must be the same. In other words, the energy and momentum of the photon must be equal to the combined energy and momentum of the electron and positron.

What are some real-life applications of pair production?

Pair production is a fundamental process in particle physics and is not commonly observed in everyday life. However, it plays a crucial role in technologies such as positron emission tomography (PET) scans, which use positrons to create images of the body's internal structures. Pair production also occurs naturally in high-energy environments, such as near black holes.

What resources are available for scientists to study pair production?

Scientists can use a variety of resources to study pair production, including particle accelerators, which can produce high-energy photons to initiate the process. They can also use detectors, such as cloud chambers and bubble chambers, to observe the tracks of the produced particles. Theoretical models and computer simulations are also commonly used to study and understand pair production.

Are there any current research developments or advancements in the study of pair production?

Yes, there are ongoing research developments and advancements in the study of pair production. For example, scientists are working on improving the precision and accuracy of measurements of the energy and momentum of the produced particles. They are also investigating the possibility of creating other types of particles, such as quarks and gluons, through pair production. Additionally, there is ongoing research on the effects of strong magnetic fields on the process of pair production.