Pair production question - photon to electron/positron

In summary, the conversation discusses pair production and the equations for conservation of energy and momentum. The equations used are E = (mc^2 + K) + (mc^2 + K) + K for energy conservation and P = E/c for momentum conservation. The values for velocity obtained from these equations are found to be unrealistic.
Brianrofl

Homework Statement

http://puu.sh/brbpb/3c7573fa32.png

Homework Equations

E = (mc^2 +K + mc^2 + K)
P = E/c
E = mc^2

The Attempt at a Solution

The book says that the momentum/kinetic energy of the electron and positron produced in a pair production is so small that it can be assumed that the electron only holds rest energy.

I just don't know. The question states that they have momentum, but how am I supposed to find that when I'm given so little information? All I know is that the photon has at least 1.02MeV, but how am I supposed to know how much extra energy went towards increasing the electron's momentum?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you start by doing what the hint says? Write down the equations for conservation of energy and momentum.

vela said:
Why don't you start by doing what the hint says? Write down the equations for conservation of energy and momentum.

I've gone through so much scratch paper and just can't get it.

Momentum equation:

Initial electron is at rest, has no momentum

Three electrons have same momentum afterwards.

P = 3mv
P = E/c, so
E = 3cmv

Energy conservation equation - third electron has kinetic energy now, but rest energy not included since it was not created by the photon.

E = (mec^2 + K) + (mec^2 + K) + K

3cmv = 2mec^2+3k

And from there I just get a ton of ridiculous values for v

Brianrofl said:
I've gone through so much scratch paper and just can't get it.Momentum equation:

Initial electron is at rest, has no momentum

Three electrons have same momentum afterwards.

P = 3mv
This isn't correct. At relativistic speeds, ##p\ne mv##.

P = E/c, so
This is only true for massless particles.

E = 3cmv

Energy conservation equation - third electron has kinetic energy now, but rest energy not included since it was not created by the photon.

E = (mec^2 + K) + (mec^2 + K) + K
This is okay, but I would say
$$ E_\gamma + m_ec^2 = 3E_e$$ where ##E_\gamma## is the energy of the photon and ##E_e## is the energy of an electron or positron in the final state.

With relativity problems, it's easier to work with energy and momentum. Once you have solved for those, you can then find velocities if needed. (Note that you don't need to find the velocity in this problem.)

It's also useful to use the relationship ##E^2 - (pc)^2 = (mc^2)^2##. For an electron or positron, you'd have ##E_e^2 - (p_ec)^2 = (m_ec^2)^2##. (So you can see that E/c isn't equal to p for the electron.) A photon's invariant mass is 0, so the relationship reduces to ##E_\gamma^2 = (p_\gamma c)^2## or ##E_\gamma = \lvert p \rvert c##.

3cmv = 2mec^2+3k

And from there I just get a ton of ridiculous values for v

As a scientist, it is important to approach this problem by using the equations provided and applying the principles of conservation of energy and momentum. The equation E=mc^2 can be used to calculate the energy of the photon, which is given as at least 1.02MeV. This energy is then used to create an electron and positron, which also have rest energies of mc^2.

The total energy in the system must be conserved, so the sum of the rest energy of the electron and positron must equal the energy of the photon. This means that any extra energy from the photon must go towards the kinetic energy of the electron and positron.

To find the momentum of the electron and positron, you can use the equation P=E/c, where P is the momentum and E is the total energy. Since the photon has no rest mass, its total energy is equal to its kinetic energy. You can then use this momentum value to find the velocity of the electron and positron using the equation p=mv.

In summary, by using the principles of conservation of energy and momentum and the equations provided, you can determine the momentum and velocity of the electron and positron produced in a pair production from a photon.

What is pair production?

Pair production is a phenomenon in which a photon (a particle of light) is converted into an electron and a positron (particles with opposite charges). This process can occur when a high-energy photon interacts with matter, such as an atomic nucleus.

How does pair production occur?

Pair production occurs when a photon has enough energy to be converted into a particle and its corresponding antiparticle. The photon interacts with a nucleus or an electron in a strong electric field, causing it to transform into an electron-positron pair.

Can pair production occur in a vacuum?

Yes, pair production can occur in a vacuum. However, it requires a very high energy photon, at least 1.02 MeV (million electron volts). In a vacuum, the photon will then spontaneously create an electron-positron pair, with the excess energy being converted into the mass of the particles.

Why is pair production important in particle physics?

Pair production is important in particle physics because it helps us understand the fundamental nature of matter and energy. It also plays a crucial role in many particle interactions and is an essential aspect of quantum field theory.

What are the practical applications of pair production?

Pair production is used in various medical and industrial applications, such as in positron emission tomography (PET) scans and in radiation therapy for cancer treatment. It is also an essential process in the functioning of certain types of particle accelerators.