Water Rise in Cappilary Tube - Where does the energy come from?

In summary, the rise of water in a small tube is due to adhesion forces between water molecules and the tube's walls. This work is done by the electrostatic energy, specifically hydrogen bonding for water. When the bond is formed, chemical potential energy is released, converting into gravitational potential energy and causing the water to rise. Breaking bonds, on the other hand, requires energy.
xCross
If a small tube (capillary tube) is dipped into the water, the water level rises. Which means someone is doing work on the water to rise it against gravity. My question is, who is doing this work?
My guess is the internal energy of the molecules is doing the work. That also means that temperature decreases slightly when rising the water. Is this the case?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is what i think:
Adhesion forces btn water molecules and the walls of the tube do the work of moving water up.

Sum said:
This is what i think:
Adhesion forces btn water molecules and the walls of the tube do the work of moving water up.

My guess:
If adhesion forces are kind of electrostatic forces, then the work is done by the electrostatic energy.

Yes, its the adhesion force (hydrogen bonding for water). In terms of energy, there is potential energy stored in the broken chemical bond. When the water and tube form a hydrogen bond, the chemical potential energy is released and becomes gravitational potential energy, i.e. the column of water rises. Forming chemical bonds releases potential energy (think explosives), and breaking bonds requires energy. To get a drop of water off a piece of glass, you have put energy in, such as by heating it or pulling it with a dropper.

I can provide an explanation for the phenomenon of water rising in a capillary tube. The energy that allows water to rise in a capillary tube comes from the cohesive forces between water molecules. These cohesive forces, also known as surface tension, are a result of the attraction between water molecules. When the tube is dipped into the water, the water molecules at the surface of the liquid are attracted to the walls of the tube, causing them to rise. This action requires energy, which comes from the cohesion between water molecules.

Additionally, the small diameter of the capillary tube also plays a role in the water rising. The smaller the diameter, the higher the water can rise due to the increased surface tension between the water and the walls of the tube.

In terms of the question of who is doing the work, it can be said that the cohesive forces between water molecules are doing the work. This is because these forces are responsible for pulling the water up against the force of gravity.

Regarding the effect on temperature, there is a slight decrease in temperature when water rises in a capillary tube. This is due to the energy required for the cohesive forces to overcome gravity and pull the water up the tube. However, the decrease in temperature is very small and may not be noticeable in most cases.

In conclusion, the energy that allows water to rise in a capillary tube comes from the cohesive forces between water molecules. This phenomenon is a result of the attraction between water molecules and the walls of the tube, and it requires energy to overcome the force of gravity.

1. What is a capillary tube?

A capillary tube is a small, thin tube with a narrow diameter, typically made of glass or plastic. It is used to measure small amounts of liquid or to transport fluids through a small space.

2. How does water rise in a capillary tube?

The rise of water in a capillary tube is due to capillary action, which is the result of intermolecular forces between the liquid and the tube's material. This creates a surface tension that pulls the water up the tube.

3. Where does the energy come from in the capillary tube?

The energy that drives the water up the capillary tube comes from the surface tension of the water and the adhesive and cohesive forces between the water molecules and the tube's material. This energy is known as capillary energy.

4. What factors affect the water rise in a capillary tube?

The water rise in a capillary tube is affected by the diameter of the tube, the surface tension of the liquid, and the material of the tube. A smaller diameter, higher surface tension, and more hydrophilic material will result in a higher water rise.

5. How is the water rise in a capillary tube used in scientific experiments?

The water rise in a capillary tube is used in various experiments, such as measuring the surface tension of liquids, determining the flow rate of fluids, and studying the properties of different materials. It is also used in medical tests to measure blood pressure and in gardening to water plants through capillary action.