Why am I struggling with multiple choice exams in A level Chemistry?

• Thread starter prasannapakkiam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exam
In summary, The speaker received a score of 82% on a mock exam that counts towards next year's grade, while others received 95+ on the same exam. The speaker struggled with the multiple choice section, only scoring 14/40, but excelled on the structured theory portion with a score of 98%. They are seeking tips to improve their performance on the multiple choice questions, which are a common format in A level Chemistry exams. Another person mentions that a similar format exists in IIT-JEE exams and suggests solving from the basics and eliminating incorrect answers. The speaker shares their difficulties with time management and struggles with the multiple choice questions in both Chemistry and Physics. They are considering more study and elimination strategies to improve their performance.
prasannapakkiam
:frown:I just got the results from a mock exam that actually counts towards next year... I got 82%. However everyone else got 95+! It is the multichoice - I got 14/40 for it! The structured theory - I got 98%. Does anybody have any good sites or tips to combat this Multichoice problem I have? Also this is A level Chemistry conducted by Cambridge... So they have this 'multiple multi choice'. I just do not see why I get soo bad. Is it due to lack of study? or just lack of practice? :frown::frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
hello! friend the pattern also exists in IIT-JEE of india...we too have to make it out...the general strategy to solve multi's is to solve from the basics and to solve the " by-products" hand-by-hand..so to get a list of answerrs...
cheers!

Really? My cousins tell that once in IIT, it is a worry free life for them! But then again, they barely passed... But with the ambiguities in these MC questions, I just cannot do them in time! The same story goes for my Physics: Structured lim--> 100, multichoice lim-->0. So elimination and more study is probably the only way through them?

1. Why do I find multiple choice exams in A level Chemistry difficult?

There could be several reasons for finding multiple choice exams in A level Chemistry difficult. It could be due to a lack of understanding of the subject material, not practicing enough with multiple choice questions, or not being familiar with the format of the exam. It is important to identify the specific areas that are causing difficulty and address them accordingly.

2. How can I improve my performance on multiple choice exams in A level Chemistry?

Improving performance on multiple choice exams in A level Chemistry requires a combination of studying and test-taking strategies. It is important to thoroughly review the material, practice with multiple choice questions, and familiarize oneself with the exam format. Additionally, utilizing strategies such as process of elimination and educated guessing can also improve performance.

3. Are there any specific study techniques that can help with multiple choice exams in A level Chemistry?

Yes, there are several study techniques that can help with multiple choice exams in A level Chemistry. These include creating study guides, summarizing notes, making flashcards, and practicing with past exam questions. It is important to find a study technique that works best for you and stick to it.

4. How should I approach a multiple choice exam in A level Chemistry?

When approaching a multiple choice exam in A level Chemistry, it is important to read the instructions carefully and take note of the marking scheme. It can also be helpful to skim through the entire exam before starting to answer questions. While answering the questions, use process of elimination and educated guessing to eliminate incorrect options and increase your chances of selecting the correct answer.

5. What can I do if I am still struggling with multiple choice exams in A level Chemistry?

If you are still struggling with multiple choice exams in A level Chemistry, it may be helpful to seek additional support. This could include attending review sessions, seeking help from a tutor, or talking to your teacher or professor for extra guidance. It is also important to stay calm and focused during the exam and not get discouraged if you do not know the answer to a question.