How important are looks when choosing a bf/gf

• Thread starter noblegas
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Important
In summary: I don't think that is the same as being beautiful. Physical attractiveness is important for a working relationship, but what that attraction is really based on is dependent on the person (not all attractive people are classical beauties). I never implied a direct correlation between looks and lower intelligence. I just get tired of beautiful people being put up on a pedestal for simply being beauty. You see, models don't have to develop any skill other than posing for their job, yet people will have them endorse certain products and they will be on the cover of a magazine. Study after study shows that society treats beautiful people better than average looking people. Bet you won't find that many
noblegas said:
So are looks than a prerequisite for you before you can evaluate every other quality about the person you are attracted to?

I think he means that looks are pretty much the only thing you have to go on for being attracted to a person until you get to know them, in most cases anyway.

Physics news on Phys.org
TheStatutoryApe said:
I think he means that looks are pretty much the only thing you have to go on for being attracted to a person until you get to know them, in most cases anyway.

Not necessarily. you can be attracted to a person you are friends with and most of us don't choose friends based on looks.

noblegas said:
Not necessarily. you can be attracted to a person you are friends with and most of us don't choose friends based on looks.

oh really? what sort of sheltered existence do you live?

Proton Soup said:

Is that really the reality? You reallly create your friendships not based on the values and interests you share but on LOOKS? I can sort of understand why looks are somewhat important for seeking a relationship... Why are looks important in seeking a friendship?

noblegas said:
Is that really the reality? You reallly create your friendships not based on the values and interests you share but on LOOKS? I can sort of understand why looks are somewhat important for seeking a relationship... Why are looks important in seeking a friendship?

look around you. this is the way people are. I'm not saying it's right, it's just typical human behavior. we want to be around beautiful people.

Proton Soup said:
Wow! Most of my closest friends in HS were not cute, popular, slim, etc. One young lady towered over me and was "big-boned" to say the least. We both enjoyed skiing, music, student government, sports, and lots of other interests, and we spent a lot of time together. We geeks had "cute" friends too, but we weren't fixated on that.

BTW, if you are a nice person, enough "cute" people will gravitate to you. I was in too many sports and extracurricular activities and couldn't commit to playing basketball and making all the practices, so I agreed to become the team's manager/trainer. I rode the bus up front with the coach and the cheerleaders, and my older (musician) friend's sisters always sat with me on the bus. They were one and two years older than me and were very cute and curvy cheerleaders. Some of our away games involved cold bus-rides of 2-3 hours one way. They were sweet girls and appreciated having a trusted friend that they could lean on and sleep without getting copped for a cheap feel. I'd tease them about drooling in their sleep (the older girl WAS pretty drool-y and snore-y when she was sleeping comfortably).

Their brother (one of my closest friends) is very large. He was a dedicated musician who always had one band or another in the works (think Leslie West and Mountain), and he is now a pro tennis-racket tuner/stringer working out of Long Island. My sisters were very pretty and trim, and they always hung with him just because he was nice, interesting, and talented.

turbo-1 said:
Wow! Most of my closest friends in HS were not cute, popular, slim, etc. One young lady towered over me and was "big-boned" to say the least. We both enjoyed skiing, music, student government, sports, and lots of other interests, and we spent a lot of time together. We geeks had "cute" friends too, but we weren't fixated on that.

BTW, if you are a nice person, enough "cute" people will gravitate to you. I was in too many sports and extracurricular activities and couldn't commit to playing basketball and making all the practices, so I agreed to become the team's manager/trainer. I rode the bus up front with the coach and the cheerleaders, and my older (musician) friend's sisters always sat with me on the bus. They were one and two years older than me and were very cute and curvy cheerleaders. Some of our away games involved cold bus-rides of 2-3 hours one way. They were sweet girls and appreciated having a trusted friend that they could lean on and sleep without getting copped for a cheap feel. I'd tease them about drooling in their sleep (the older girl WAS pretty drool-y and snore-y when she was sleeping comfortably).

Their brother (one of my closest friends) is very large. He was a dedicated musician who always had one band or another in the works (think Leslie West and Mountain), and he is now a pro tennis-racket tuner/stringer working out of Long Island. My sisters were very pretty and trim, and they always hung with him just because he was nice, interesting, and talented.

what about your fat friends who are girls? (or do you have any)

noblegas said:
what about your fat friends who are girls? (or do you have any)
Yes, I have quite a few, to this day. What is wrong with you?

turbo-1 said:
Yes, I have quite a few, to this day. What is wrong with you?

Nothing. I just noticed you mention all of your attractive friends who were girls going to your fat guy friends.

noblegas said:

Generally if you are friends with someone then you probably know them to some degree.
And yes, most people also use looks to determine whom to approach and make conversation with. Personally if I saw a jock looking guy in a sports jersey I am not going to think I have much in common with him and so I will be less likely to try to start a conversation with him. Not that I would not make friends with a jock or possibly find something in common with one but if it were between him and the dorky looking guy with glasses and an Einstein shirt I am thinking I will probably have more in common with the latter.