Is an Applied Math Degree the Key to Improving Your Understanding of Physics?

In summary, the speaker is an Electrical Engineer with a MS degree who has started working for physicists. They have found that their math skills are lacking and want to pursue a degree in Electromagnetics/Quantum physics or Particle physics, but are unsure if they can use their EE degree towards it. They are considering taking a math certificate course online but are concerned about the cost. Another person suggests self-studying or hiring a tutor instead of spending money on a college course. The University of Washington offers an Applied Math masters online, which the speaker may consider.
likephysics
I am an Electrical Engineer. I have a MS degree. Soon after graduation, I started working for physicists. At work, I found I was lacking some fundamental concepts. Nobody said I was a bad engineer. Everything I designed worked. But the way physicists think is much different. Much more fundamental and one idea builds on the other and there is continuation.
I want to pursue a degree in Electromagnetics/Quantum physics or Particle physics. But I know my weakness. Its math. At undergrad level, I used to solve problems fine when I took math courses. Never really cared what they meant. But now, I find myself at a loss when I see math equations being used(like in research papers etc).
I need to build up my math fundamentals. Do you guys have any suggestions/thoughts?
Go for a math degree?

Physics news on Phys.org
Get better in maths then...

Would you be able to use classes you took for your EE degree towards this new physics degree?

Also, if you're not able to use those classes, you have to take a plethora of math classes for the physics major, almost enough to get a math minor. Those refresher courses for you might be enough.

I don't think I will be able to use my EE degree towards physics. My undergrad was not in the US. My grad EE courses are not directly related to physics. I'll have to double check with my school.
Come to think of it, I really don't mind doing a Math certificate course online.
Does any school offer math course online for an affordable fee (like under 1k per course).
I checked some, they are all around 3k.

Why not just study on your own and save the money?

lubuntu said:
Why not just study on your own and save the money?

I agree completely. You've already gotten a degree so you should be able to re-teach yourself the math you need to learn. I would just pick up an old textbook and start going over what you think you need to learn. If you need more help I would try to hire a tutor if one is available rather than spending hundreds on a college course. However, if you are going to go back to college for a physics degree then you may need to retake those math courses anyway if your old ones won't transfer in. If that's the case than I would look into taking them at a community college near you but make sure the credits will transfer to wherever you want to go for your physics degree.

University of Washington has an Applied Math masters online.

http://amathonline.washington.edu/amo/

I haven't looked to see how expensive they are, though. It can't be as crazy as Columbia...

FAQ: Is an Applied Math Degree the Key to Improving Your Understanding of Physics?

1. What can I do with a degree in Physics?

A degree in Physics can open up a wide range of career opportunities, including research and development in various industries such as technology, aerospace, and energy. Physics graduates are also highly sought after in fields such as engineering, finance, and data analysis.

2. Is Physics a difficult subject to study?

Physics can be a challenging subject, but it is also highly rewarding. It requires strong mathematical and analytical skills, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving abilities. However, with dedication and hard work, anyone can excel in the field of Physics.

3. What skills will I develop by studying Physics?

Studying Physics can help you develop a wide range of valuable skills, including problem-solving, critical thinking, data analysis, and experimental design. You will also gain strong mathematical and computational skills, as well as the ability to think abstractly and creatively.

4. What are the prerequisites for studying Physics?

The specific requirements for studying Physics may vary depending on the university or program you are applying to. However, most programs will require a strong foundation in mathematics, including calculus and algebra. A background in physics and other sciences, such as chemistry and biology, may also be beneficial.

5. What can I expect from a Physics degree program?

A Physics degree program typically includes a combination of lectures, laboratory work, and independent research. You will learn about various topics in Physics, such as classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. You will also have the opportunity to conduct your own experiments and research projects, and may have the chance to participate in internships or study abroad programs.