Optimizing Letter of Recommendation: Tips for College Applications

In summary: But to hear that it's not necessary at all makes me feel much better. Thanks again!In summary, the researcher is looking for a plan of what to write in his letter of recommendation for the student. He is also shy to use the third person. The student should focus on describing themselves in first person, and if there is a personal quality that the professor would like to stress, mention it. Finally, the student should be grateful and oblige the professor.
ephedyn
OK, here's the situation. I'm applying to college this year, and my research professor is keen to write me a letter of recommendation and I had already prepared my CV.

But now I'm feeling a little nervous because my CV is sort of, generalized, with lots of activities/distinctions that are not related to the research project, so I'd feel bad making him sieve through the whole thing to pick out those which he has a part to say in.

1. He mentioned to "supply him the details of what we have done over the course of our research"... I guess it's basically to give him a plan of what to write, just what I need. But how should I write this? Like a resume with a short, 1-2 sentence description of each key point? Like a short essay/personal statement?

2. Do you usually describe yourself in 3rd person in these?

3. I read a guide on writing recommendation letters, and it seems it's a norm to focus on my personal qualities, too. Am I supposed to... 'hint' which personal qualities I'd want him to talk about, knowing roughly what my college is interested in finding out about me? If I am, how should I do this? It would be really silly if I wrote things like, "<my name> displayed <characteristic> in..." And I'm actually confident that he knows what to do here without me supplying any further detail, since he should be used to it in his job already, but I just need assurance here.

Thanks in advance (:

Physics news on Phys.org
He doesn't want you to write the letter for him, just to remind him about your major contributions to the project. I'd write it like a resume, with bullet points for your main accomplishments. If there is some interesting story that you'd like him to use, by all means write a bit more about it so he'll be familiar with the details.

I'd also shy away from using the 3rd person, but that's just me.

Finally, if there is some personal quality you feel that he needs to stress for some reason, mention it. If you don't have a compelling reason though, just trust that he will do the right thing for you.

And of course be grateful that he is so keen to write you a good letter!

OK, I will write it in resume form and 1st person as suggested! Ah OK, good to hear that it's OK to write a short story/mention personal qualities if necessary. Thanks a lot, problem solved.

Yes I'm really glad that he's willing to help me... I did think that maybe one day someone else would ask me to write a letter for him/her, and I'd surely follow his example and extend my help.

1. What is a letter of recommendation?

A letter of recommendation is a document written by a person who knows you well and can attest to your skills, abilities, and character. It is typically used to support your application for a job, education program, scholarship, or other opportunities.

2. Who should I ask to write a letter of recommendation for me?

You should ask someone who knows you well, such as a professor, supervisor, or mentor. They should be able to speak to your strengths, accomplishments, and potential for success in the specific situation you are applying for.

3. How should I request a letter of recommendation?

You should approach the person you are requesting the letter from in person or via email. Be sure to explain why you are asking them for a letter and provide any necessary details, such as the deadline and specific requirements for the letter.

4. What should be included in a letter of recommendation?

A letter of recommendation should include an introduction, specific examples of your skills and accomplishments, and a conclusion that summarizes your strengths and potential. It should also be personalized and tailored to the specific opportunity you are applying for.

5. How can I ensure a strong letter of recommendation?

To ensure a strong letter of recommendation, make sure to ask someone who knows you well and can speak positively about your abilities. Provide them with all necessary information and materials, and thank them for their time and effort. It is also important to follow up and express your gratitude after the letter has been submitted.