Reignite Your Love of Math: Tips to Get Motivated & Textbook Suggestions

• Thread starter lolgarithms
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is seeking advice on how to get back into studying higher level math after feeling discouraged by proof exercises. They are looking for ways to regain motivation and are interested in a list of textbooks on various branches of math. They also mention the need for a multivariable calculus textbook based on differential forms. The suggestion is to start with easier topics and gradually progress to more rigorous material.
lolgarithms
How can i get started on studying higher level math again? i got discouraged by proof exercises on the textbooks, i need a fresh start. i feel unmotivated on the subject i thought i loved. how can i motivate myself again? Just about any way to motivate myself would do.

also, could i have a list of textbooks on linear, abstract algebra, topology, differential geometry, real/complex analysis. i have realized that the list needs to start easy and FUN then on to the rigorous parts later.

But first i need a nice multivariable calculus textbook based on differential forms.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'd say start back with the basics. You know, what you find easy. Then move your way up.

I can understand your frustration and lack of motivation when it comes to studying higher level math. It is completely normal to feel discouraged by challenging proof exercises and to feel unmotivated in a subject you once loved. However, there are ways to reignite your love for math and get back on track with your studies.

One way to motivate yourself is to set specific and achievable goals. This can help you stay focused and give you a sense of accomplishment when you reach those goals. You can also try breaking down your study sessions into smaller, more manageable chunks. This can make the material feel less overwhelming and more approachable.

Another strategy is to find a study partner or join a study group. Having someone to discuss concepts and problem solve with can make studying more enjoyable and can also help keep you accountable. Additionally, try to find real-world applications for the math you are studying. Understanding how it can be used in practical situations can make it more interesting and meaningful.

In terms of textbooks, it is important to find ones that are both challenging and enjoyable for you. For multivariable calculus based on differential forms, I would recommend "Multivariable Calculus with Differential Forms" by David Bachman or "Vector Calculus, Linear Algebra, and Differential Forms" by Hubbard and Hubbard. For linear algebra, I suggest "Linear Algebra Done Right" by Sheldon Axler or "Linear Algebra: A Modern Introduction" by David Poole.

For abstract algebra, "A Book of Abstract Algebra" by Charles Pinter or "Abstract Algebra: Theory and Applications" by Thomas Judson are good options. For topology, "Topology" by James Munkres or "Elementary Topology" by O. Ya. Viro et al. are popular choices. For differential geometry, "Introduction to Differential Geometry" by Karen Uhlenbeck or "Differential Geometry of Curves and Surfaces" by Manfredo Do Carmo are recommended.

Finally, for real and complex analysis, "Principles of Mathematical Analysis" by Walter Rudin or "Real and Complex Analysis" by Walter Rudin are standard texts. You can also try "A First Course in Complex Analysis with Applications" by Dennis Zill and Patrick Shanahan for a more applied approach.

Remember, it is important to find the right balance between challenging yourself and enjoying the material. Don't be afraid to try different textbooks or study methods until you find what works best for you. With determination and a fresh start

1. How can I get motivated to study math?

Getting motivated to study math can be challenging, but there are a few tips that can help. First, try breaking down your studying into smaller, more manageable chunks. You can also set specific goals for yourself and reward yourself when you achieve them. Additionally, finding a study group or a tutor can provide accountability and support. Lastly, try to find the relevance and practical applications of the math concepts you are studying, as this can make it more interesting and motivating.

2. How can I improve my understanding of math concepts?

Improving your understanding of math concepts takes practice and patience. One tip is to actively engage with the material by taking notes, writing out examples, and explaining concepts to others. You can also try different methods of studying, such as using flashcards or creating practice problems. Additionally, seeking help from a teacher, tutor, or classmate can provide valuable insights and explanations.

3. What are some recommended math textbooks for self-study?

Some recommended math textbooks for self-study include "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart, "Linear Algebra: A Modern Introduction" by David Poole, and "Introduction to Probability" by Joseph K. Blitzstein and Jessica Hwang. It is important to find a textbook that aligns with your learning style and covers the necessary topics for your level of math.

4. How can I stay motivated to continue studying math?

Staying motivated to continue studying math can be challenging, but there are a few strategies that can help. One tip is to set achievable goals for yourself and reward yourself when you reach them. You can also track your progress and celebrate your accomplishments along the way. Additionally, try to find the practical applications and relevance of the math concepts you are studying, as this can make it more interesting and motivating.

5. How can I overcome math anxiety?

Math anxiety can make studying and learning math more difficult, but there are ways to overcome it. One tip is to practice relaxation techniques before and during math study sessions. You can also try to reframe your thoughts about math by focusing on the progress you are making rather than the outcome. Additionally, seeking support from a teacher, tutor, or counselor can provide helpful strategies for managing math anxiety.