About degeneracy in wikipedia

The concept of degeneracy in physics refers to multiple quantum states having the same energy level, making them equally probable to be filled according to the Boltzman distribution. This is known as the "Postulate of Equal a Priori Probability" and is applicable when the system is in thermodynamic equilibrium. This makes sense as particles are less likely to occupy higher energy levels compared to lower ones.
hokhani
In Wikipedia this sentence is written about degeneracy;
In physics, two or more different quantum states are said to be degenerate if they are all at the same energy level. Statistically this means that they are all equally probable of being filled,
do you agree with the bold statement?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think this could be correct since the Boltzman distribution is given by:

$$p(E_i)=\frac{1}{Z}\exp^{-E_i/kT}$$

so the probability density of finding a particle in two state with the same energy should be the same.

If they are mutually accessible, and the system is in thermodynamic equilibrium. This is the "Postulate of Equal a Priori Probability."

To me this makes complete sense if you consider that the system is in thermodynamic equilibrium. Think of how it is less likely that particles occupy higher energy levels than lower ones. In

1. What is degeneracy in Wikipedia?

Degeneracy in Wikipedia refers to the concept of multiple Wikipedia pages redirecting to a single page. This typically occurs when there are multiple terms or phrases that have the same meaning, and instead of creating individual pages for each one, they all redirect to a single page to avoid duplication of information.

2. Why is degeneracy important in Wikipedia?

Degeneracy helps to streamline the content on Wikipedia and avoid unnecessary duplication of information. It also helps to ensure that relevant information is easily accessible and not spread out among multiple pages.

3. How does degeneracy affect the accuracy of information on Wikipedia?

Degeneracy does not necessarily affect the accuracy of information on Wikipedia. However, it can be a concern if the single page that multiple terms redirect to is not well-developed or does not provide comprehensive information on the topic.

4. Can anyone create degeneracy on Wikipedia?

Yes, anyone can create degeneracy on Wikipedia by creating a redirect page for a term or phrase that already has its own page. This can be done by using the #REDIRECT syntax in the wiki markup.

5. Is degeneracy allowed on Wikipedia?

Yes, degeneracy is allowed on Wikipedia as long as it follows the site's guidelines and policies. However, it is recommended to only create redirects for terms that are commonly used and have the same meaning to avoid cluttering the site with unnecessary redirects.