Complex analysis question: can't find similar question on internet

In summary, the given question involves finding the line integral on the real line for the function \frac{e^{ax}}{1+e^{x}} along a closed complex circle. The residue theorem is used to find the integral along a semicircle, but the integral on the real line remains to be determined. By using a rectangle contour and taking the contour integral, the value of the integral can be found.
runforest
this question doesn't seem tough but i can't find anything like it.

[itex]\int\frac{e^{ax}}{1+e^{x}}dx[/itex] along the real line (a is between 1 and 0).

I know this is a complex analysis question, so i took the complex integral (along a semicircle where the diameter is the real numbers). by residue theorem, this integral is (2(Pi)i)*[sum of residues].

But now I am stuck, how do i get just the line integral on the real line, given the integral in the closed complex circle?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is tough. Gotta' bunch of residues in there right? When is [itex]1+e^z=0[/itex]? Well, that's easy, it's when [itex]\log(z)=-1[/itex] all the way up there. Then have to sum all those residues up like
[tex]2\pi i\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}e^{(2n+1) \pi i a}[/tex]

Part of the problem is also showing what the value of the integral over the half-circular arc is. Because |a|<1, then the denominator denominates so it's zero but really should prove that rigorously.

Oh yeah, to answer your question, if the integral over the closed half-washer contour is equal to that sum of residues and the integral over the half-circle part is (probalby) zero as it's radius goes to infinity, then what's left is the integral over the real line and then that's equal to that expression up there. Gotta' figure out what it is.

Last edited:
Nevermind actually it is really easy. Just take a rectangle contour with one of the sides along the real line and a height of 2*Pi*i. Stretch the rectangle from -infinity to infinity on the real line and take the contour integral.

Related to Complex analysis question: can't find similar question on internet

1. What is complex analysis?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions on complex numbers. It involves the study of complex-valued functions, differentiation, integration, and series. It has applications in many areas of mathematics, physics, and engineering.

2. What are the main topics covered in complex analysis?

The main topics covered in complex analysis include complex numbers, complex functions, differentiation, Cauchy-Riemann equations, contour integration, power series, and singularities. Other important topics include the Cauchy integral theorem, Laurent series, and the residue theorem.

3. What are some applications of complex analysis?

Complex analysis has many applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is used in the study of fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, signal processing, and control theory. It also has applications in number theory, probability, and statistics.

4. What are some common difficulties encountered in complex analysis?

Some common difficulties encountered in complex analysis include understanding the concept of a complex number, visualizing complex functions, and mastering the techniques of contour integration. Students may also struggle with complex algebra and understanding the geometric interpretation of complex numbers and functions.

5. Are there any online resources for learning complex analysis?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning complex analysis. Some popular options include online courses on platforms such as Coursera and edX, video lectures on YouTube, and online textbooks and lecture notes. It is also helpful to join online communities or forums where you can ask questions and discuss complex analysis with other students and experts.