Slow Thread Loading: Best Songs Ever

• Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
In summary, the thread "Best Songs Ever" is getting slower to load for anyone else? Twice today I've had to bail out waiting for it to load. I'm going to split it off tonight.
lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Is the thread "Best Songs Ever" getting slower to load for anyone else? Twice today I've had to bail out waiting for it to load.

Physics news on Phys.org
lisab said:
Is the thread "Best Songs Ever" getting slower to load for anyone else? Twice today I've had to bail out waiting for it to load.
I'm going to split it off tonight.

I noticed a little slowing on page 175, but not enough to bail out.

Evo said:
I'm going to split it off tonight.
How time flies. You started the thread in '06.

dlgoff said:
How time flies. You started the thread in '06.
No way, it seems like 2 years ago, tops.

lisab said:
I would imagine that the embedded videos (as opposed to the URL links) would cause the thread to load slowly. For each embedded video the browser has to send a GET request for the starting image of the video, and the image data has to come back over the wire before the page is fully loaded.

That's my explanation, and I'm stickin' to it...

Mark44 said:
I would imagine that the embedded videos (as opposed to the URL links) would cause the thread to load slowly. For each embedded video the browser has to send a GET request for the starting image of the video, and the image data has to come back over the wire before the page is fully loaded.

I figured it was gnomes!

The new thread loads lightning-fast :approve:.

Mark44 said:

You are most likely right, with one more important remark: how long it takes to load these videos from youtube depends on the number of videos embedded on a particular thread page, not on the number of videos embedded in the whole thread.

Splitting the thread won't change that (although it may slightly lower our server load).

Borek said:
Splitting the thread won't change that (although it may slightly lower our server load).
Greg asked me to split threads that have over 1,500 posts to lighten server load.

Borek said:
You are most likely right, with one more important remark: how long it takes to load these videos from youtube depends on the number of videos embedded on a particular thread page, not on the number of videos embedded in the whole thread.

I have a feeling I'm probably the one to blame; I posted eight clips in the same post on page 175, which probably was a bad idea :blushing:. Sorry!

If these kind of things are tough on the server, an idea would perhaps be to limit the number of allowed youtube embeddings in one and the same post and/or encourage people to just link and not embed when the post contains multiple links.

Just a suggestion, I don't know if it's a good one.

At least I won't make any mutiple embeddings anymore, I promise :smile:.

DennisN said:
I have a feeling I'm probably the one to blame; I posted eight clips in the same post on page 175, which probably was a bad idea :blushing:. Sorry!

If these kind of things are tough on the server, an idea would perhaps be to limit the number of allowed youtube embeddings in one and the same post and/or encourage people to just link and not embed when the post contains multiple links.

Just a suggestion, I don't know if it's a good one.

At least I won't make any mutiple embeddings anymore, I promise :smile:.
<le GASP> (as Pepe le Pew would say), so, all of the trouble...it was...YOU!

Evo said:
<le GASP> (as Pepe le Pew would say), so, all of the trouble...it was...YOU!

Ok, what about this story?

I had written a post with 8 embedded links. I realized this would be troublesome to the server, so I had doubts about posting it. But suddenly my cat stepped on the mouse, and accidentally posted it on the forum. When I reached for my cat, I strained my right hand. This hurt, so I quickly reached for a first aid kit with my left hand. Unfortunately, this made me strain my left hand. Without my hands I could not edit nor delete the post my cat had submitted. The next day both my hands had miraculously healed - but then it was too late to edit the post.

DennisN said:
Ok, what about this story?

I had written a post with 8 embedded links. I realized this would be troublesome to the server, so I had doubts about posting it. But suddenly my cat stepped on the mouse, and accidentally posted it on the forum. When I reached for my cat, I strained my right hand. This hurt, so I quickly reached for a first aid kit with my left hand. Unfortunately, this made me strain my left hand. Without my hands I could not edit nor delete the post my cat had submitted. The next day both my hands had miraculously healed - but then it was too late to edit the post.
Now that is perfectly understandable, happens more than you know. We get many posts that have obviously been made by cats, or some other animal.

Evo said:
Now that is perfectly understandable, happens more than you know. We get many posts that have obviously been made by cats, or some other animal.

Actually some posts were apparently made by unicellular organisms, as they suggest poster IQ lower than that of a volvox.

Borek said:
Actually some posts were apparently made by unicellular organisms, as they suggest poster IQ lower than that of a volvox.

At arms! We have been discovered! Activate defenses. Release all salmonella drones:

_66267654_c0134727-salmonella_bacteria,_artwork-spl.jpg

1. Why is slow thread loading a concern for music streaming?

Slow thread loading can negatively impact the user experience by causing delays in song playback and interruptions in the listening experience. It can also lead to frustration and dissatisfaction with the streaming service.

2. How does slow thread loading affect the selection of "Best Songs Ever"?

If a streaming service has slow thread loading, it may take longer to load and display the list of "Best Songs Ever". This can be frustrating for users who want to quickly access and listen to the songs on the list.

3. What factors contribute to slow thread loading?

Slow thread loading can be caused by a variety of factors, such as high server load, network congestion, and inefficient coding of the streaming service. It can also be influenced by the device and internet connection of the user.

4. How can streaming services improve thread loading speed?

Streaming services can improve thread loading speed by optimizing their code, investing in better server infrastructure, and regularly monitoring and addressing any network or server issues. They can also work on improving the compatibility of their service with different devices and internet connections.

5. Can slow thread loading affect the accuracy of "Best Songs Ever" list?

In some cases, slow thread loading can affect the accuracy of the "Best Songs Ever" list if the service is not able to load and display all the songs on the list. This can lead to an incomplete or inaccurate representation of the best songs.