Do wireless routers 'wear out'

• Thread starter gmax137
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wireless
In summary: But if you've had the same issue on and off for two years, something more serious may be going on.I used to work for several ISPs and we would constantly have hubs and routers fail. I don't know why, as there are no moving parts, but every now and again one would just 'die' and have to be replaced. Once my boss at the time had to don a harness and climb to the top of a tower on Agua Ramon mountain in Colorado to replace one.Good fun (not!).In summary, the router might be worn out and needs to be replaced.
gmax137
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
I have a tablet I use at home, and lately it is slow to load internet pages. If I turn "Airplane Mode" ON then OFF, the slow page will load. Or I can disconnect from my wireless network and then re-connect, and the page loads. When I had this problem in the past I was advised "your router is worn out, get a new one." When I bought the router I have now, I asked the clerk at Best Buy and he assured me this was a "good" router and would solve my problems. Well that was 2 1/2 years ago and indeed it worked fine until a few months ago. Giving a useful lifetime close to the last router.

That just doesn't sound right to me. What could be "wearing out"?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Usually power supplies (including internal ones) are the first component to fail. But usually the symptom is not acting flaky but instead failing completely.

I had similar symptoms. Turn off; let sit for a few minutes; turn on worked fine. Turns out my kid gave the password to neighbor kid. I changed passwords for admin and user1 -- and the problem went away. :devil:

• Love
  • Haha
Likes FactChecker, Wrichik Basu, Vanadium 50 and 2 others
Vanadium 50 said:
usually the symptom is not acting flaky but instead failing completely.
Sometimes it's starting with the wifi module running out of juice mid-sequence => frame errors.
Sometimes a new set of electrolytic capacitor can solve the issue.

Years ago I had a cable modem doing the same thing, it would drop off. Support told me that the vintage of the modem wasn't able to update the firmware, so get a new modem. Problem fixed, never had an issue after that.

But the router worked fine with this same tablet when both were new. I suppose the tablet has had some automatic updates over the past two years; do you think that could make it incompatible with the router? I have to admit this tech is black magic to me. Maybe I need to look into downloading updates to the router.

It could easily be things like dropping DHCP leases. Updates can change things like the duration. But these usually go away quickly as things sync back up.

There are various wifi "channels" that are used, this is automatically determined by the router on start up. If you suddenly appeared to have a drop of service which work safter restarting it's likely that someone else living close to you is using the same channel. Sometime's you can set these manually in the router so they stay on a "good" channel. There are various "Wifi analyzer" programs that can tell ylu what your channel is and those around you are using.

I used to work for several ISPs and we would constantly have hubs and routers fail. I don't know why, as there are no moving parts, but every now and again one would just 'die' and have to be replaced. Once my boss at the time had to don a harness and climb to the top of a tower on Agua Ramon mountain in Colorado to replace one. Good fun (not!).

I replaced my router with a new one and the connectivity problems disappeared.

Likes davenn and russ_watters
I wonder if there is a factory reset function for routers. I'm like most people and I can no longer locate the manual.

The router you get from the ISP is likely pre-configured. If you hard reset it you would likely lose the information required to get online. Hardware does fail from time to time, it's to be expected.

• Sad
Likes jim mcnamara and anorlunda

1. Do wireless routers actually wear out over time?

Yes, just like any other electronic device, wireless routers can wear out over time. This is due to factors such as hardware failure, software glitches, and outdated technology.

2. How long is the typical lifespan of a wireless router?

The lifespan of a wireless router can vary depending on several factors. On average, a router can last anywhere from 2-5 years. However, some routers may last longer or shorter depending on usage, maintenance, and quality of the device.

3. Can a wireless router be repaired if it starts to malfunction?

In most cases, yes, a wireless router can be repaired if it starts to malfunction. However, the cost and effort of repairing may not be worth it, especially if the router is old or outdated. It may be more cost-effective to replace the router instead.

4. What are some signs that a wireless router may be wearing out?

Some common signs that a wireless router may be wearing out include slow internet speeds, frequent disconnections, and difficulty connecting to the network. Additionally, if the router's hardware starts to make unusual noises or gets hot to the touch, it may be a sign of wear and tear.

5. How can I prolong the lifespan of my wireless router?

To prolong the lifespan of a wireless router, it's important to regularly update its firmware, keep it in a well-ventilated area, and avoid overloading it with too many devices or heavy internet usage. It's also important to perform regular maintenance, such as cleaning the router's vents and resetting it if necessary.