Register to reply

Calculating theoretical pH of a solution while taking pH of tap water into account

by robspg
Tags: account, solution, theoretical, water
Share this thread:
robspg
Mar22-10, 06:47 PM
P: 1
Hello, thanks for reading.

I am solving a lab problem that involves calculating a theoretical pH value, then testing the experimental pH in a lab with tap water that is not the expected pH 7, and comparing the values.

I am determining the theoretical pH value of a 0.1M concentration of NaNO2.
Based on my calculations using the Kb value of 1.96*10-11, the result is pH 8.15.

Then, after completing the test experimentally by creating a 0.1M solution from solid NaNO2 and 0.250L of pH 4.95 tap water, I I recorded an experimental value of pH 6.75.

How do I take into account the pH of the tap water to calculate the proper "theoretical pH value"?

Thanks!
-Rob
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Fungus deadly to AIDS patients found to grow on trees
Canola genome sequence reveals evolutionary 'love triangle'
Scientists uncover clues to role of magnetism in iron-based superconductors

Register to reply