Navigating Life After Academia: Self-Education Paths and Resources

In summary, the conversation revolves around the idea of the academic life not being suitable for the speaker due to the stress and pressure associated with it. They are considering the possibility of teaching themselves and attending classes/lectures for free, but it is pointed out that without a degree, employers may not value the self-taught knowledge. The conversation also touches on the idea that learning is now only valued if it comes with a diploma, and that the academic system is driven by economic factors. There is a shared sentiment of frustration and dissatisfaction with the current state of academia.
thoughtgaze
An undergrad here, about to finish up within a couple of months. My grades aren't too good overall and I think I've learned that the academic life is not for me. Well, to be more precise, the stress and pressure associated with academic life is not for me. I am thinking about the possibility of teaching myself. On that note, I was wondering how difficult that might be. As much as I don't like the pressure and stress associated with the academic life, I was also thinking about attending class/lectures anyway. As far as I know, education itself is free, and the degree is what you pay for, which doesn't really concern me. Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions? Good books to help me in my endeavor?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, good luck to you. I could never teach myself; personally I need the pressure of a grade to make me study. I know, grad school is supposed to teach you to teach yourself, but whatever. In any case, if you can do it, and you don't care about getting the degree, then go for it.

thoughtgaze said:
An undergrad here, about to finish up within a couple of months. My grades aren't too good overall and I think I've learned that the academic life is not for me. Well, to be more precise, the stress and pressure associated with academic life is not for me. I am thinking about the possibility of teaching myself. On that note, I was wondering how difficult that might be. As much as I don't like the pressure and stress associated with the academic life, I was also thinking about attending class/lectures anyway. As far as I know, education itself is free, and the degree is what you pay for, which doesn't really concern me. Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions? Good books to help me in my endeavor?

The unfortunate reality is that without the degree no one will care if you taught yourself or not. Employers need proof that you can handle some pressure and that you can stick through it. Why should they hire someone without a degree when all of the other applicants have one?

I'm not sure what you mean though. Are you referring to graduate level study or finishing your undergrad degree? You'll also almost certainly have trouble auditing classes without paying someone for it. You can, of course, learn more on your own if you are interested after graduation. It's just typically a lot easier with others around you who are also trying to learn the same thing, and with professors around who already know what's going on.

kote said:
The unfortunate reality is that without the degree no one will care if you taught yourself or not. Employers need proof that you can handle some pressure and that you can stick through it. Why should they hire someone without a degree when all of the other applicants have one?

I'm not sure what you mean though. Are you referring to graduate level study or finishing your undergrad degree? You'll also almost certainly have trouble auditing classes without paying someone for it. You can, of course, learn more on your own if you are interested after graduation. It's just typically a lot easier with others around you who are also trying to learn the same thing, and with professors around who already know what's going on.

I understand employers need proof, but I'm not really even interested in getting some high paying job. I'm interested purely in theory. I'm finishing my undergrad degree in physics. Are you sure I wouldn't be able to merely sit in on lectures?

thoughtgaze said:
I understand employers need proof, but I'm not really even interested in getting some high paying job. I'm interested purely in theory. I'm finishing my undergrad degree in physics. Are you sure I wouldn't be able to merely sit in on lectures?

It's almost universally against school policy to sit in without paying an auditing fee. Some schools allow graduates to audit for free, but they still need to register.

This is the point in everyone's life where they realize that academics, as with every other human endevour, is mediated by economic drives. Learning is now valued only when it comes with props (diploma), for the sake of producing a mediocre, but consistant product.

A school will tell you that a diploma is a certificate in which they profess to have been both responsible for your education, and in which they assure future employers/schools that you meet some basic standards. That IS life however, so don't expect to circumvent that just because in the case of some few people, it's silly. Better to get the degree (or not) and in the process of proving yorurself on the job, get your "autodidactage" on. :)

Frame Dragger said:
This is the point in everyone's life where they realize that academics, as with every other human endevour, is mediated by economic drives. Learning is now valued only when it comes with props (diploma), for the sake of producing a mediocre, but consistant product.

A school will tell you that a diploma is a certificate in which they profess to have been both responsible for your education, and in which they assure future employers/schools that you meet some basic standards. That IS life however, so don't expect to circumvent that just because in the case of some few people, it's silly. Better to get the degree (or not) and in the process of proving yorurself on the job, get your "autodidactage" on. :)

If that is life, it sucks big time, doesn't it?

btw i too have similar feelings/situation as the creator of the topic, but i don't know what i am going to do, i like studying physics a lot, but what and the way they teach in semesters is garbagety. Is it everywhere like that? Do u have to all ur life play along with a system and take time out to do what you like? is it really that bad? Or does at some point of time situation reverses, i.e., You get to do what you like all the time while taking time out to play along with the system

If you're still enrolled as an undergraduate at the institution then I'm sure you'd be able to sit in on a graduate class if you asked a professor before hand. If, however, you've already graduated then I doubt that it would be allowed by university policy.

As for just learning by yourself, there are a vast amount of lectures, video lectures and textbooks from which to learn. Don't anticipate going on to perform formal study/research in these areas without the degree and background though. If it's purely out of curiosity then it's easy enough to find material.

@kapv89: If you're lucky, then yes there is time for those personal pursuits. There are fields in which personal freedom is prized, but that's rare. The reality is that 9/10ths of life is either playing ball, orchestrating the ball game, or being hit by the ball. It DOES suck big time though, I won't disagree a big lol.

One thing I will say on this however... it's still sweet, and good to learn. Who's to say that the way things are now will persist after all? Your chances to learn on your own now are VAST, compared to virtually no chance at all 100-150 years ago. Who's to say what 10, 20, etc years will bring? Then, there are the relationships we form with those around us. After all, if you're friends with people who are willing to teach you casually or formally, so much the better!

Remember, schools are not the beginning and end of all... they just feel like it.

I think the OP is looking to study topics on his own because he or she is interested in the subjects, and not to put them on his or her CV. There's nothing wrong with this. Especially if you want to teach yourself topics that are usually covered in undergrad, since there's tons of material out there, and lots of free stuff too. I plan on doing this too when I eventually quit academia, I'd like to study more geometry on my own, from Euclid to Archimedes to Coxeter and Atiyah. I'd also like to study more physics, namely classical mechanics and particle physics. For whatever reason we don't get to study everything we want to in our time at university, and often the courses we take that we think we're interested in, we find out we're not so keen on it.
Especially with websites like Physics Forums, teaching yourself topics is much easier today. However, it's still relatively difficult to teach yourself graduate level material, especially cutting-edge research topics, but it is still possible to teach yourself to a beginning graduate level probably.
Good luck and have fun!

thnx frameDragger,

Since we are on the topic of having to live life according to the constraints of society,
you would think science would be the one area that would break outside the normal bounds. People who are of the science mind, are fairly regularly the type who do not excel in the structured environment of our educational system. The lucky ones who find themselves with parents who can identify their talents, and have the money to act end up with a top notch education tailored to their personality.

My advice is simply, stay in school. As a 30 year old with no more than a high school degree (barely even got that - I was one of the unlucky ones), I envy the position you are in. Once you get that PhD, an entire world of opportunity opens up. You'll have access to top notch equipment, and top notch peers.

My entire set of knowledge in physics has been from self-teaching. I learn it because it is fascinating, but there is not job out there that would fulfill me intellectually now. If you are anything like me (and given the tone of this thread, I would bet you are), you will always be intellectually deprived and everything out there will seem completely inane.

this has been quite an 'enlightening' thread (though many on this site are, this one has a 'personal' touch)

a question, after a PhD, if you leave the 'formal' academic field, can you still publish papers on stuff u like if they are worth their salt?

Last edited:
Even without a Ph.D., you can publish papers, if you can get them past peer review.

The problem is that without a Ph.D., you are unlikely to know how to write a paper that can get past peer review. If you leave the academic world after getting a Ph.D., though, that shouldn't really be a problem.

Then, the problem would be doing something worth publishing without access to any expensive toys. Definitely possible though.

1. What is the purpose of "Navigating Life After Academia: Self-Education Paths and Resources"?

The purpose of this resource is to provide guidance and support for individuals who have recently left academia and are looking to continue learning and growing through self-education. It offers information on various paths and resources available for self-education, as well as tips and advice for navigating this transition.

2. Who is this resource intended for?

This resource is intended for anyone who has recently left academia or is considering leaving academia and is looking for ways to continue learning and growing outside of a traditional academic setting. It may also be useful for current academics who are interested in supplementing their education with self-directed learning.

3. What are some examples of self-education paths?

Some examples of self-education paths include online courses, MOOCs (Massive Open Online Courses), self-study programs, mentorship opportunities, and community-based learning programs. These paths can be tailored to fit individual interests and goals, making them a flexible and personalized option for continuing education.

4. What resources are available for self-education?

There are many resources available for self-education, including online learning platforms such as Coursera, Udemy, and Skillshare, as well as libraries, community centers, and local organizations that offer classes and workshops. Additionally, there are numerous online resources such as podcasts, blogs, and YouTube channels that provide valuable educational content.

5. How can self-education benefit individuals after leaving academia?

Self-education can offer a variety of benefits for individuals after leaving academia, including the ability to continue learning and growing in areas of personal interest, expanding one's knowledge and skills beyond a specific academic discipline, and staying intellectually stimulated and engaged. It can also provide opportunities for networking and connecting with like-minded individuals outside of academia.