Solving Surds: A Level Maths Struggles

• Thread starter RMHAZARD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    A level
In summary, the conversation is about a student who is struggling with surds in their A Level maths class. They are seeking help on how to simplify equations involving surds and are given a comparison to simplifying equations using algebraic variables. The student is able to understand and solve the equations with the help of the distributive and associative laws. They confirm their answer is correct and thank the person for their assistance.
RMHAZARD
Hi i have just started A lvel maths and we are doing surds, i was never taught this in secondary school so i am at a complete loss.

I have barly understood the basics but struggled when having to simplify equations Such as (3 + √2) + (5 + 2√2)

I know the answer is 8 + 3√2 but can not find any way to solve it as my way to get the answer goes against math rules.

Please if you tell me how to work this one out i can do the other 14 by my self.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Treat the √2 the same way you would a simple algebraic variable... How would you simplify this:

(3 + x) + (5 + 2x)

Use the associative law to regroup as (3+5)+(sqrt(2)+2*sqrt(2)). You can probably handle 3+5 so for the surd part use the distributive law to write 1*sqrt(2)+2*sqrt(2) as (1+2)*sqrt(2).

thanks dick i see that now. so this one (5 +3√2) - (5 - 2√2) would (5-5) (2+3√2) so it would be 5√2

is my math right?

RMHAZARD said:
thanks dick i see that now. so this one (5 +3√2) - (5 - 2√2) would (5-5) (2+3√2) so it would be 5√2

is my math right?

The answer is right, but you should write this part "(5-5) (2+3√2)" as: (5-5) + (2√2+3√2) or maybe this is what you meant which is also right: (5-5) + (2+3)√2

Last edited:
yeah that's what i meant thanks for your help.

Related to Solving Surds: A Level Maths Struggles

1. What are surds and why are they important in mathematics?

Surds are expressions that contain irrational numbers, such as square roots or cube roots. They are important in mathematics because they allow us to represent numbers that cannot be expressed as a simple fraction or decimal. Surds also play a crucial role in many mathematical concepts, such as quadratic equations and geometry.

2. How do I simplify a surd?

To simplify a surd, you need to factor the number inside the root sign and look for perfect square factors. Then, you can take the square root of the perfect squares and bring them outside the root sign. Any remaining numbers inside the root sign that cannot be simplified are left in their original form.

3. What is the difference between rational and irrational numbers?

Rational numbers can be expressed as a ratio of two integers, while irrational numbers cannot be expressed as a simple fraction. This means that irrational numbers have an infinite number of decimal places and cannot be written as a terminating or repeating decimal. Surds are an example of irrational numbers.

4. How do surds relate to Pythagorean theorem?

The Pythagorean theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. Surds are often used to represent the lengths of the sides in a right triangle, as they allow us to express the exact value of the side length without using decimals.

5. Can surds be added or subtracted?

Yes, surds can be added or subtracted if they have the same number inside the root sign. In this case, you can simply combine the numbers outside the root sign and keep the number inside the root sign the same. However, surds with different numbers inside the root sign cannot be simplified further and cannot be added or subtracted.