Mechanical Engineering Senior Project Ideas in the Biomechanics field

In summary, the speaker is a third year student in mechanical engineering who needs to complete a 2 year Master's program to have a BE equivalent. They are unsure of where to start with their senior project but are interested in the field of bio mechanics, particularly in relation to animals. They ask for ideas and someone suggests building a robot dog, but the speaker is looking for more specific subdiciplines within biomechanics.
tj00343
I'm in my third and final year Bs. in mechanical engineering degree .(I need to do a 2 year Ms. to have a BE. equivilant in case anyone was wondering) .Anyways , I don't know where to start with my senior project. I'm interested in the bio mechanics field . I love animals (my dog is my best friend) so I'd really like to do something there .I really don't know where to start. Any ideas ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Build a robot dog like in Fallout :). Seriously though biomechanics has a lot of subdiciplines- be more specific. My old roommate, for instance, was doing studies of human balance.

1. What is biomechanics and how does it relate to mechanical engineering?

Biomechanics is the study of the movement and structure of living organisms, with a focus on how mechanical principles and concepts can be applied to understand and improve their function. In mechanical engineering, biomechanics plays a crucial role in developing and designing devices and systems that interact with or assist the human body, such as prosthetics, medical implants, and sports equipment.

2. What are some potential senior project ideas in the biomechanics field for mechanical engineering students?

Some potential senior project ideas in the biomechanics field for mechanical engineering students include designing and testing a new type of prosthetic limb, developing a wearable device to monitor and improve athletic performance, creating a medical implant with improved biocompatibility, or designing a rehabilitation device for individuals with specific injuries or disabilities.

3. Is it necessary to have prior knowledge or experience in biomechanics to pursue a senior project in this field?

No, it is not necessary to have prior knowledge or experience in biomechanics to pursue a senior project in this field. Many mechanical engineering programs offer courses in biomechanics that provide a foundation for understanding the principles and concepts involved. Additionally, collaborating with a faculty member or researcher with expertise in biomechanics can also provide valuable guidance and support.

4. How can a senior project in biomechanics contribute to the field and make a positive impact?

A senior project in biomechanics can contribute to the field by addressing a specific problem or need in the field, such as improving the functionality or efficiency of a medical device, enhancing athletic performance, or advancing our understanding of how mechanical principles can be applied to living organisms. It can also make a positive impact by providing practical solutions that can benefit individuals with disabilities or injuries, or by advancing the overall knowledge and capabilities in biomechanics.

5. Are there any ethical considerations to keep in mind when working on a senior project in the biomechanics field?

Yes, there are ethical considerations to keep in mind when working on a senior project in the biomechanics field. These may include ensuring the safety and well-being of human subjects involved in experiments or testing, obtaining appropriate consent and approval for any research involving human participants, and considering the potential implications and consequences of the project's outcomes on society and the environment.