Engineering Projects and live experience

In summary, the conversation discusses self-quarantining during the pandemic and a student's visit to a forging company. The student hopes to gain some knowledge and experience for their project in Petrochemical engineering. They also ask for input from others in the same field.
Houlther123
Hey,

I hope everyone is doing well. Let's self-quarantine and protect our world from this pandemic. As we have lots of spare time, I just thought of sharing some latest experience I had. I'm doing my master's in Petrochemical engineering. Last month I just visited a company that provides forged parts for the power generation industry. One of my friends works there and I just thought of visiting him. I must say, I never thought it would be this tough to deal with the things there. I just came to know about different alloys and the major grades of material used, its overall production process etc. I hope all this will help me in doing my project.

[moderator: link removed]

Is there anyone who studies in this same field? Please share some of the projects you have done. This will be a great help. Let's stay at home and work for our future.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
The connection between a PetroChem MS and a forging company is a bit fuzzy, to say the least. That said, You are certainly not locked into a career based on what you studied in school. A lot of what you learned in school will carry over, even though it was taught from a different perspective. In my own case, my PhD work was in hydrodynamics, but I've never done anything since that time in hydrodynamics; it was a means to an end. The same could well apply to you.

1. What is the purpose of engineering projects and live experience?

The purpose of engineering projects and live experience is to provide hands-on learning opportunities for students to apply the theoretical knowledge they have gained in the classroom to real-world situations. It also helps students develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and teamwork skills that are essential for a successful career in engineering.

2. How are engineering projects and live experience different from regular coursework?

Engineering projects and live experience involve practical, hands-on work, while regular coursework is typically focused on theoretical concepts and exams. In engineering projects, students are given a problem to solve or a project to complete, and they must use their knowledge and skills to come up with a solution. This allows for a more immersive and engaging learning experience.

3. What types of engineering projects and live experience are available?

There are various types of engineering projects and live experience, including design projects, research projects, and internships. Design projects involve creating a product or system from scratch, while research projects focus on investigating and solving a specific problem. Internships provide students with the opportunity to work in a professional engineering environment and gain practical experience.

4. How do engineering projects and live experience benefit students?

Engineering projects and live experience provide numerous benefits to students, including practical application of knowledge, development of critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and exposure to real-world engineering challenges. These experiences also help students build their resumes and stand out in the job market after graduation.

5. How can students get involved in engineering projects and live experience?

Students can get involved in engineering projects and live experience through their university's engineering program, student organizations, or by seeking out internships and research opportunities. It is also helpful to network with professors and professionals in the field to learn about potential opportunities.