Pictures I took at a 2.5m telescope in the Canary Islands

In summary, the speaker, a student studying astrophysics, visited the Nordic Optical Telescope in the Canary Islands and took 4 pictures which can be viewed on a website. The pictures are color composites made with NASA's software. The speaker hopes others will enjoy the pictures as much as they did taking them.
kungfuscious
Hi there, physics nerds!

I'm studying astrophysics in Copenhagen, and I had the opportunity to visit a telescope in the Canary Islands (just off the west coast of Africa). It's called the Nordic Optical Telescope, and I was there for a week in August. Among other things, I managed to get 4 pretty pictures that I thought you might enjoy. It's no Hubble or anything, but this telescope still did nicely. You can see the pictures here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/kungfuscious/NordicOpticalTelescopeInLaPalmaCanaryIslands#"

I hope you like the pictures as much as I liked taking them. Pictures are color composites made from many exposures, taken with different filters and then combined using NASA's fits liberator software.

-Kungfuscious

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Very nice! Color me jealous!

1. What is the purpose of using a 2.5m telescope in the Canary Islands?

The 2.5m telescope in the Canary Islands is used for astronomical observations, gathering data and images of celestial objects such as stars, galaxies, and planets. It is also used for research and studying the universe.

2. How does the 2.5m telescope in the Canary Islands work?

The telescope collects and focuses light from distant objects using a large primary mirror and secondary mirrors. This light is then directed to the eyepiece or a camera, allowing for detailed images to be captured and studied.

3. What type of research can be conducted using pictures taken at the 2.5m telescope in the Canary Islands?

The pictures taken at the 2.5m telescope in the Canary Islands can be used for a variety of research, such as studying the formation and evolution of galaxies, discovering new planets, and observing the behavior of stars and other celestial objects.

4. How are the pictures taken at the 2.5m telescope in the Canary Islands processed and analyzed?

The pictures taken at the 2.5m telescope in the Canary Islands are processed using specialized software to enhance the image quality and remove any noise or distortions. The data is then analyzed by scientists using various methods and techniques to extract valuable information.

5. Can the general public access the pictures taken at the 2.5m telescope in the Canary Islands?

Yes, the pictures taken at the 2.5m telescope in the Canary Islands are publicly available through online databases and archives. They can also be accessed through educational and outreach programs organized by the observatory to promote scientific literacy and appreciation of the universe.

Back