Looking for images of same object, but with different telescope sizes?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of imaging objects with different telescopes, specifically looking at the differences in image quality between small and large telescopes. The conversation also mentions the use of astronomy software to simulate a field of view. It is noted that dobs are not typically used for imaging, but can be with a 6" Newtonian. Images of various objects taken with different telescopes and cameras are shared, with a mention of the differences in exposure times, focal length, and other factors. The conversation also touches on the benefits of a Dobsonian mount and how it is used in both amateur and research telescopes.
nukeman
Hey guys,

Iv been looking for this, but can't seem to put it together.

Mainly I am looking for images of the same object, like Jupiter or andromeda, with various sizes of telescopes, showing the difference in image of small telescopes to large ones.

Like, a small dob, to a 6, to a 8 and beyond. Kinda like that.

Anyone help me out?

Thanks! :)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I've imaged several objects with several different telescopes: http://www.russsscope.net/

Among them:
-Jupiter, Saturn and Mars with two different telescopes and three different cameras and various Barlow lenses.
-The Orion Nebula with two different telescopes, plus a 135mm SLR lens and two different cameras.

You can also use astronomy software to calculate a field of view for you and show you a simulation of what you'd see.

Wow, VERY nice images!

I am looking for images a 6 inch dob is capable of?

I am VERY new to telescopes, and just picked up a 6inch dob on sale, and a 2 inch adapter.

Want to see some images a 6 inch dob is able to make.

Thanks

russ_watters said:
I've imaged several objects with several different telescopes: http://www.russsscope.net/

Among them:
-Jupiter, Saturn and Mars with two different telescopes and three different cameras and various Barlow lenses.
-The Orion Nebula with two different telescopes, plus a 135mm SLR lens and two different cameras.

You can also use astronomy software to calculate a field of view for you and show you a simulation of what you'd see.

Dobs aren't usually used for imaging but 6" Newtonians can be. See http://www.telescope.com/control/product/~category_id=optical_tube/~pcategory=telescopes/~product_id=09786/~sSearchSession=730afff3-3088-4236-ab21-d0f87fc83ac4", for example.

http://home.comcast.net/~patforster/astro/m57nebulosity.jpg" Notice the differences in scale. There are differences in exposure times, cameras, focal length, etc... which makes comparisons less straightforward.

Last edited by a moderator:
a beautiful set of pix Russ, makes me severely miss the dark skies I had back in New Zealand and the astro photo's my friend and I did on many cold dark nites.

clarification... a dob (Dobsonian) is a Newtonian scope. the "dob just describes the type of mount that the Newtonian is in (Alt-Az) as a difference from an equatorial mount.

my current scope is a 8" f4.5 Dobsonian mount
An interesting thing is that many of the very large research scopes these days are often a Dob style mount. They are, just as a home dobo scope would be, easy to guide with computer control :)

Dave

1. What is the purpose of looking for images of the same object with different telescope sizes?

The purpose of this is to compare and analyze the quality and resolution of the images captured by different telescopes. This can provide insights into the capabilities and limitations of different telescope sizes and help improve our understanding of the object being observed.

2. How do different telescope sizes affect the images of the same object?

The size of a telescope's objective lens or mirror determines its light-gathering power and resolution. Larger telescopes are able to collect more light and produce higher resolution images, while smaller telescopes may have limitations in these areas.

3. What factors should be considered when comparing images from different telescope sizes?

Some key factors to consider are the size and type of telescope, the quality of its optics, the imaging technology used, and the environmental conditions during observation. These factors can impact the overall clarity, detail, and color representation of the images.

4. How can these comparisons contribute to scientific research?

By comparing images from different telescope sizes, scientists can gather valuable data and insights that can aid in their research and understanding of the object being studied. This can also help in the development and improvement of telescope technology.

5. Are there any limitations to this method of comparison?

While comparing images from different telescope sizes can provide useful information, it should be noted that there are other factors that can affect the quality of the images, such as atmospheric conditions, image processing techniques, and the observer's skill. Therefore, it is important to consider these limitations when interpreting the results.