Triple Integral moment of inertia

In summary, the triple integral for the moment of inertia Iz for the region inside the sphere x^2+y^2+z^2=4a^2 and inside the cylinder x^2+y^2-2ax=0 is derived using cylindrical coordinates. The integral is taken from 0 to sqrt(4a^2-r^2) for the first term, from 0 to 2acostheta for the second term, and from 0 to 2pi for the third term. The limits for theta are from 0 to pi because theta represents the polar angle, which cannot go above 180 degrees.
Punkyc7
set up a triple integral for the moment of inertia Iz for the region inside the sphere
x^2+y^2+z^2=4a^2 and inside the cylinder
x^2+y^2-2ax=0

so I draw my picture and convert to cylindrical coord. and i get an integral from 0 to sqrt(4a^2-r^2)
an integral from 0 to 2acostheta and an integral from 0 to 2pi

then I multiply by 2 becuase its only the top part of the volume that i set up and the integral is integrating r^3

my question is the answer says that the theta limits and goes from 0 to pi , so why is that?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is theta the polar angle? If so, the polar angle can't go above 180 degrees. (If it did, it would wrap around to the other side of the sphere, and we would just use a different phi to denote that.)

1. What is a triple integral moment of inertia?

Triple integral moment of inertia refers to a mathematical concept used to calculate the distribution of mass in an object and its resistance to rotational motion. It is represented by the symbol I and is measured in units of mass multiplied by distance squared (kg·m^2).

2. How is the triple integral moment of inertia calculated?

The triple integral moment of inertia is calculated by taking the integral of the product of the squared distance from an axis of rotation and the density function of the object, over the entire volume of the object. This process involves performing three integrals, hence the name "triple integral".

3. What is the significance of triple integral moment of inertia in physics?

The triple integral moment of inertia is an important quantity in physics as it helps determine an object's resistance to rotational motion. It is used in various fields such as mechanics, engineering, and astronomy to analyze the stability, strength, and motion of objects.

4. How does the distribution of mass affect the triple integral moment of inertia?

The distribution of mass in an object has a direct impact on the triple integral moment of inertia. Objects with a larger mass concentrated away from the axis of rotation will have a higher moment of inertia, meaning they will be more resistant to rotational motion. On the other hand, objects with a more uniform mass distribution will have a lower moment of inertia.

5. Can the triple integral moment of inertia be negative?

No, the triple integral moment of inertia is always a positive value. This is because it is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion and cannot be negative. If the calculated value of the moment of inertia is negative, it means there was an error in the calculation or the object's mass distribution is not physically possible.