Avoiding Drunken Situations with Your Partner

• Thread starter KingNothing
  • Start date
In summary: Actually, I don't think you should send her to AA. Just because she's been drinking doesn't mean she's an alcoholic. You need to talk to her and find out what her drinking habits are and how you can best deal with them.
KingNothing
Picked my GF up from the bars tonight, which I have no prolem doing. She asked if I wanted to stay over and I said no, because I just wasn't comfortable with her being drunk and me not. She kept begging and wouldn't take no for an answer.

On the ride back to her place, she did the whole "silent treatment" thing. Then later she said she didn't care, and that she wasn't really drunk at all. I said that she seemed like it and I still wasn't comfortable. Then she got offended and said she wasnt drunk and I was making stuff up.

To me, clearly she was intoxicated. She talks and acts a little different and I can pick up on it. I guess it's just weird to me if I am sober and she is drunk, I just prefer to avoid that situation.

What should I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't mind picking her up from bars, but aren't a fan of her being drunk?

Personally, I don't see the problem with one person being drunk. It happens, just get on with it.

KingNothing said:
What should I do?
You should figure out how to deal with the situation to your satisfaction, and make sure that she knows how you will react.

Tough situation. I had a very young GF in college that would get wasted and then show up at my house expecting that I would take care of her. I never hung with her crowd, so I couldn't predict her appearances. I had a couple of house-mates that were smitten by her, and they always let her in so she could use my bedroom, and that that backfired very badly in one instance when I came home with another pretty lady that I had met. Bad!

Hope you can come up with something that you can both live with.

Ugh, dealing with drunks, what a pain!

Film her when she's drunk. Show it to her later when she's sober to show her what a pita it is to deal with her when she's been drinking.

lisab said:
Film her when she's drunk. Show it to her later when she's sober to show her what a pita it is to deal with her when she's been drinking.

Only do so if you've never been drunk when she hasn't been. Wouldn't want to be a hypocrite.

My girlfriend doesn't like it when I'm drunk and she's not. I think it's to do with the fact she's had bad experiences with family members who get drunk. I never thought to ask what experiences but I try my best to avoid seeing her when I want to get drunk! ahh the joys of relationships

In my experience, girlfriends are a little more wild in bed with a few drinks in them, though perhaps not sloppy falling down drunk.

Only if you have Not been drunk while she is the sober one,,,only then as Jared has sad,,,,,,Do you have a right to ''not like her when she is drunk',,,what are your thoughts on how she feels about ,You drunk Her Sober?

Remember when you choose it is for good,,take an old man's advice ,,Does she like to cook?,,,This is absolutely the First question.Un-fortunately one of the first questions I asked my (not knowing then) wife,,,Do you like to save money,then it was the
I ever seen of the money.ha.
a joe in Texas
Edit:Of course you didn't (OP) ask about Commitments,,,That's
a whole new set of rules,

Last edited:
Can you clean up that post a bit, joe? It was a struggle to make sense of that.

JaredJames said:
You don't mind picking her up from bars, but aren't a fan of her being drunk?

Personally, I don't see the problem with one person being drunk. It happens, just get on with it.

No, no, no. I have zero problem with her being drunk, I just don't want to hang out with her while she is and I'm sober. It's just annoying to hang out with someone who can't walk straight, thinks everything is funny, etc.

In any case, she apologized this morning, and I think it's all good.

1] Drunk people and sober people do not mix. To me, when sober, nothing a drunk person does is funny.

2] Unless she's a [expletive of your choice], she will see the light in the morning.

KingNothing said:
In any case, she apologized this morning, and I think it's all good.

Perfect.

Now, when she's finds out you blabbed the whole thing on "your stupid science nerd board", well, yer toast buddy. :biggrin:

yep any way you look at it you're in for some bad weather,sorry

I told my girlfriend to stop drinking or I would send her to AA. She stopped. She hasn't touched anything alcoholic in a year.

Lichdar said:
I told my girlfriend to stop drinking or I would send her to AA. She stopped. She hasn't touched anything alcoholic in a year.

What ELSE did you tell her?

Nothing pleasant.

Was she a heavy drinker or social drinker? That could change what you did from a good thing to just being a d***.

JaredJames said:
Was she a heavy drinker or social drinker? That could change what you did from a good thing to just being a d***.

I'm an unapologetic *******, and yet, it was a good thing for her life. She was a pretty heavy drinker, but more importantly, she had no control over it. Far as I was concerned, while she drank, she was having a relationship with alcohol and I am jealous by nature.

As long as we're telling anecdotes...

Earlier this year, we buried our Maid of Honour and best friend of 25 years, who drowned herself in a bottle of vodka, despite our whole social group's best efforts to get her help. It didn't help that even her husband was in denial until it was too late. She was only 53.

KingNothing said:
To me, clearly she was intoxicated. She talks and acts a little different and I can pick up on it. I guess it's just weird to me if I am sober and she is drunk, I just prefer to avoid that situation.

What should I do?

Depends on how often it happens. If it bothers you now, then it's something that will slowly wear away at your relationship as time goes by.

What is considered a "drunken situation" with a partner?

A drunken situation with a partner can vary, but it typically refers to any scenario where one or both individuals are heavily under the influence of alcohol and may engage in behaviors that are out of character or potentially harmful.

How can I avoid getting into a drunken situation with my partner?

There are several steps you can take to avoid getting into a drunken situation with your partner. These include setting boundaries and limits on alcohol consumption, having open and honest communication about drinking habits, and finding alternative activities to do together that do not involve alcohol.

Why is it important to avoid drunken situations with your partner?

Avoiding drunken situations with your partner is important because it can help maintain a healthy and stable relationship. Alcohol can often lead to poor decision making and can potentially harm the relationship or individuals involved. Additionally, excessive alcohol consumption can have negative effects on physical and mental health.

What can I do if my partner wants to drink but I do not?

If your partner wants to drink but you do not, it is important to communicate your concerns and boundaries. You can suggest alternative activities or offer to be the designated driver. It is also important to respect your partner's decision to drink, but make sure to take care of your own well-being.

What are some warning signs that a drunken situation with my partner may be becoming dangerous?

Warning signs of a potentially dangerous drunken situation with your partner may include excessive aggression, slurred speech or difficulty walking, and loss of inhibitions. It is important to communicate with your partner and remove yourselves from the situation if necessary to ensure the safety of both individuals.