Doppler Radar - Bandwidth, Continuous Wave or Pulse?

In summary, doppler radars measure the speed of objects by measuring the difference in frequency between the outgoing signal and the returning signal. Older radars use a continuous wave while newer ones use short pulses.
imonthejazz
Doppler Radar??

Please can someone help me with doppler radar...need to know bandwidth?? Is it usually continuous wave or pulse?? or can it be both??

pretty much just after some general knowledge on doppler radar?

thanks in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
As far as I know, the only Doppler radars in use send brief pulses. The transmitter has to be off in order for the receiver to detect an incoming signal (the way you or I might yell into a canyon, then be quiet to hear the echo).

As far as I know about radar and radio in general, unless you have two separate antennas one each exclusively for transmit and recieve, the transmitter of the radar has to be stopped so it can "see" the return echo on the same antenna.

The min and max distances you can see with a radar are a function of the transmit pulse duration, repetition rate and output power.

imonthejazz said:
Please can someone help me with doppler radar...need to know bandwidth?? Is it usually continuous wave or pulse?? or can it be both??

pretty much just after some general knowledge on doppler radar?

thanks in advance!

The doppler radars used for measuring vehicle speed (older ones) send out a CW wave of a single frequency. They do turn it off for the reception period as noted above --- so those are generally long pulses. Similar to morse code for Ham Radio operators -- the returning frequecy is "mixed" with the original frequency -- and the difference in frequency is measured. The difference is proportional to speed.

I have read that newer radars can use short pulses (and then there is Lidar). The difference in time in the return pulses from one pulse to the next can be measured and used to compute speed. I don't know how common the one or the other gun is today.

What is the difference between bandwidth, continuous wave, and pulse in Doppler radar?

Bandwidth refers to the range of frequencies that a radar system can detect and process. Continuous wave refers to a radar system that transmits a continuous signal and receives echoes at the same time. Pulse refers to a radar system that transmits short bursts of energy and then listens for echoes in between transmissions.

How does bandwidth affect the performance of Doppler radar?

A wider bandwidth allows for a higher resolution and better detection of small objects or changes in velocity. However, it also requires more processing power and can be more susceptible to interference.

Which type of Doppler radar is better for weather forecasting: continuous wave or pulse?

Both types of radar have their advantages and disadvantages, but pulse radar is generally preferred for weather forecasting. It allows for better detection of precipitation and can measure both velocity and direction of movement.

What is the advantage of using continuous wave Doppler radar in medical imaging?

Continuous wave Doppler radar can provide real-time imaging and continuous monitoring of blood flow in the body. It is also less affected by motion artifacts and can measure higher velocities than pulse radar.

Can Doppler radar measure the speed of an object moving directly towards or away from the radar?

Yes, Doppler radar can measure the radial velocity of an object moving directly towards or away from the radar using the Doppler effect. However, the accuracy of the measurement may be affected by the angle of incidence and reflections from surrounding objects.