What are some reported observations of ball lightning?

In summary, the conversation discusses a link about ball lightning and its possible explanation. The link is added to a section about ball lightning in the Credible Anomalies Napster. It is suggested that the form of ball lightning is a thickened torus, as it is the only two-dimensional manifold that can support a nonvanishing vector field. There is a thread on sci.physics.research about ball lightning, where observational reports of transport through aircraft hulls and windows are mentioned. However, it is argued that plasma toroids cannot explain this phenomenon.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
http://www.electronpowersystems.com/Images/Ball%20Lightning%20Explained.pdf

Thought this may be of interest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nice link, thanks Wolram. :approve: I added this to the Ball Lightning section of the Credible Anomalies Napster above.

I think I have an old post somewhere around here in which I suggested the form of ball lightning should be a thickened torus. I suggested it because the torus is the only two dimensional manifold that can support a nonvanishing vector field.

1. What is ball lightning?

Ball lightning is an unexplained atmospheric phenomenon that appears as a glowing sphere of light that moves through the air, typically during thunderstorms. It can vary in size and color and can last anywhere from a few seconds to several minutes.

2. How is ball lightning formed?

The exact formation process of ball lightning is still not fully understood. However, it is believed to be caused by electrical charges from lightning strikes that become trapped in the atmosphere, creating a plasma ball. Other theories suggest that it may be formed by chemical reactions or microwave radiation.

3. Can ball lightning be dangerous?

While there have been reports of ball lightning causing damage or harm, there is no scientific evidence to support this. It is still a mysterious phenomenon and its behavior is unpredictable, so it is best to observe it from a safe distance.

4. How rare is ball lightning?

Ball lightning is considered a rare occurrence and is not often observed or recorded. However, it is possible that it is more common than we think, as many sightings may go unreported or unnoticed.

5. Is there any scientific explanation for ball lightning?

Although there have been numerous theories proposed, there is still no widely accepted scientific explanation for ball lightning. Scientists continue to study and research this phenomenon in order to better understand its properties and formation.