Determining the center of mass experimentally

In summary, to determine the center of mass of an irregular solid, you can either use a ruler with holes, or hang the object from a pin and see if it makes a 180 degree turn. If not, you can use a second pin to hang it from a lower hole and continue the process. If you can manage to hang the object from the hole that's right at the center of mass, it will stay still and not make turns. Another way to find the center of mass of an irregular solid is to suspend the object in the air and calculate the points of suspension.
JinM
Hello!
How does one determine the center of mass of an irregular solid (with uniform density of course) experimentally? I know the plumb bob way, but I was wondering if there is another way?

Thanks,
Jin

Physics news on Phys.org
there is another way I know, but you will have to drill the solid for this :)
Lets consider a ruler with holes on it (I know this aint ireegular but just for simplicity)
You hang the ruler from one of the holes to a pin and see if it makes a 180 degrees turn.
If it doesnt, then you hang it from another hole that's below the one u used for the previous trial. U continue doing this until the object makes a 180 degree turn. When u get the turn, u ang it from a hole that's above the one u got the turn.

If you can manage to hang it from the hole that's right at the center of mass of the soid, it will stay still and not make turns

I know that isn't much practical with an irregular solid but just an idea!

Well, is there a more practical way? I'm just interested in how to find it experimentally.

JinM said:
Well, is there a more practical way? I'm just interested in how to find it experimentally.

I don't know the plumb bob way. How does that work?

There is a way, but it's not always practical. You can float the object (plus a dangling weight) such that half the object is above and half below (this takes some calculating). Do this for several planes and they intersect at the CM. Now, where you get the liquid (mercury?) is another story.

TVP45 said:
I don't know the plumb bob way. How does that work?
This is fairly easy for a 2-d object. You just push a pin through the object (say, a cut-out map of Texas) and hang it on a cork board leaving it free to rotate. The CM will be below the suspension point, so hang a plumb bob from the pin and draw a line along the string that's suspending it. Repeat for another point of suspension, and then for a third, as a check. All the lines you've drawn should intersect at one point, which is the CM.

In 3-d you can do the same thing, it just gets tricker because the object isn't flat (in general), so you can't necessarily hang it against a board. I'd say just hang it from from various points on it surface, and then cleverly find a way to project a line from a plumb bob hanging right next to the object onto the surface of the object, such that the projected line goes through the point of suspension. (Laser? Spray paint?) You could to this for a single suspension point, while moving the plumb bob to different sides, and then repeat for different suspension points. You should end up with a bunch of lines drawn on the surface of the object. Connect their intersection points with imaginary lines through the interior of the object, and that should be your CM. Make sense?

What is the center of mass?

The center of mass is a point in an object or system where its mass is evenly distributed in all directions. It is also referred to as the center of gravity.

Why is it important to determine the center of mass experimentally?

Determining the center of mass experimentally allows for accurate measurements and predictions of an object's motion and stability. It also helps in understanding the distribution of mass within an object.

What is the process for determining the center of mass experimentally?

The process involves suspending the object or system from different points and measuring the position of the plumb line. The center of mass is located at the point where all the plumb lines intersect.

What are some common methods used to determine the center of mass experimentally?

Some common methods include the plumb line method, the pivot point method, and the parallel forces method.

What are some real-world applications of determining the center of mass experimentally?

Determining the center of mass experimentally has many practical applications, such as in engineering design, sports equipment, and balancing objects. It is also used in fields such as physics, astronomy, and robotics.