Center of Mass of Quarter-Circle Wire

In summary, Kleppner analyzes the forces and torques on a uniform rod that has been bent into a quarter-circle of radius R and length PI*R/2. He places the center of mass at the midway point of the rod, which is at polar coordinates (R, PI/4). However, the calculation for the center of mass yields a different result, (2^(3/2) R/PI, PI/4). There is confusion about the placement of the weight vector and the calculation for the torque.
dchartier
On page 252 of Kleppner's Introduction to Mechanics (2d. Ed.) in Example 7.5, Kleppner analyzes the forces and torques on a uniform rod that have been bent into a quarter-circle of radius R and length PI*R/2. His diagram is attached.

Kleppner writes, "[t]he center of mass is halfway along the rod at PI*R/2.'' In the diagram, you see this is the point on the rod at its midway point (at polar coordinates (R, PI/4), where the weight vector W is shown).

I'm not sure how he places the center of mass at this point. I calculated the center of mass as at polar coordinates (2^(3/2) R/PI, PI/4). I calculated it as follows. The mass per unit length is:
\begin{equation*}
\lambda = \frac{M}{\frac{2 \pi R}{4}} = \frac{2M}{\pi R}
\end{equation*}
I calculated the center of mass as:
\begin{equation*}
\frac{1}{M} \int_C \boldsymbol{r} dm = \frac{1}{M} \int_0^{\pi/2} R (\boldsymbol{a_x} \cos \theta + \boldsymbol{a_y} \sin \theta ) \lambda R d\theta =
\end{equation*}
\begin{equation*}
\frac{2R}{\pi} \int_0^{\pi/2} (\boldsymbol{a_x} \cos \theta + \boldsymbol{a_y} \sin \theta) d\theta =
\left. \frac{2R}{\pi} (\boldsymbol{a_x} \sin \theta - \boldsymbol{a_y} \cos \theta ) \right|_0^{\pi /2} =
\end{equation*}
\begin{equation*}
\frac{2R}{\pi} (\boldsymbol{a_x} + \boldsymbol{a_y}) = \boldsymbol{a_r} \frac{2 \sqrt{2} R}{\pi} + \boldsymbol{a_\theta} \frac{\pi}{4}
\end{equation*}
This places the center of mass at (2^(3/2) R/PI, PI/4), or about 90% of the distance from the origin to the rod. Kleppner seems to say the center of mass is on the rod itself. Did I make a mistake?

Many thanks for your help!

Attachments

• Quarter Circle Wire.gif
    Quarter Circle Wire.gif
    9.7 KB · Views: 3,735
  • Quarter Circle Wire.gif
    Quarter Circle Wire.gif
    9.7 KB · Views: 1,402
Last edited:
Likes gunparashar
Physics news on Phys.org
I also get 2R/π for the x and y coordinates of the center of mass. Not sure about what you are trying to show with your approximation.

Thanks, it's good to know I'm not missing something obvious here.

I shouldn't have used the approximation symbol, I should've used the equals sign. I was just converting from Cartesian to polar.

Again, thanks for checking my calculation.

same confusion here in order to find the torque because of the weight we should consider weight to be acting about center of mass ( i.e center of gravity ) which is at (2r/pi , 2r/pi) but Kleppner has taken weight to be acting about the middle point on the rod which is on rod itself.

1. What is the center of mass of a quarter-circle wire?

The center of mass of a quarter-circle wire is the point at which the wire would balance if it were placed on a fulcrum. In other words, it is the point around which the mass of the wire is evenly distributed.

2. How is the center of mass of a quarter-circle wire calculated?

The center of mass can be calculated using the formula (x,y) = (R/2, 4R/3π) where R is the radius of the quarter-circle wire.

3. Why is it important to know the center of mass of a quarter-circle wire?

Knowing the center of mass is important in understanding the stability and balance of the wire. It can also help in predicting how the wire will move or behave when subjected to external forces.

4. Can the center of mass of a quarter-circle wire be outside of the wire?

No, the center of mass will always be located within the wire. This is because the calculations for center of mass take into account the distribution of mass within the wire itself.

5. How does the shape and size of a quarter-circle wire affect its center of mass?

The shape and size of the wire will directly affect the location of its center of mass. For example, a larger radius will result in a center of mass that is closer to the edge of the wire, while a smaller radius will result in a center of mass that is closer to the center of the wire.