Calculating Negative Electric Charge of Oxygen Gas at STP

In summary, to find the negative electric charge of all electrons in a 56 liter sample of oxygen gas at STP, you must first calculate the number of oxygen molecules present in the sample by using a well-known formula for ideal gas law. Then, you need to determine the number of electrons in each molecule and multiply it by the total charge of each electron to get the total negative electric charge of all the electrons in the sample. Remember, it is important to do your own research and not rely on others to do the work for you.
dtrain121

Homework Statement

Find the negative electric charge of all the electrons in a 56 liter sample of oxygen gas at STP. Assume the oxygen gas is diatomic.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea. Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello,

Diatomic, of course, means that each oxygen molecule contains 2 oxygen atoms (ie, O2). Cool. So you know you have 56 liters of a gas, oxygen here, at STP. Do you have a formula that would allow you to calculate how many molecules of O2 gas would occupy that much volume? After you calculate that, its a simple matter of finding out how many electrons each O2 molecule contains, and multiplying your number of molecules by the number of electrons in each molecule by the total charge of each electron.

Hope this helps, reply if you need more clarification! I've deliberately avoided simply giving you the formulas, of course.

he did not give me any formulas. i would not know where to start. can you please give me the formulas?

dtrain121 said:
he did not give me any formulas. i would not know where to start. can you please give me the formulas?

You need to start by calculating the number of atoms of the gas that are contained in a 56 liter container, at STP-- ie, 1 atmosphere, and 0 degrees C.

No, I will not give you the formula. You should be able to find this one on your own. It's one of the more famous formulas out there. Have you even looked for it? Or thought about where you could?

We're not here to do your work for you.

1. What is negative electric charge?

Negative electric charge is a fundamental property of matter that describes the amount of electrical energy an object possesses. Objects with negative charge have an excess of electrons, which are negatively charged particles, and are attracted to positively charged objects.

2. How is negative electric charge measured?

Negative electric charge is measured in units of coulombs (C) using a tool called an electrometer. One coulomb is equivalent to the amount of charge carried by 6.241 × 10^18 electrons.

3. What are some examples of objects with negative electric charge?

Some examples of objects with negative electric charge include electrons, most non-metallic objects such as plastics and rubber, and certain types of atoms and molecules.

4. What is the relationship between negative electric charge and positive electric charge?

Negative and positive electric charges are opposite in nature and are attracted to each other. When they come into contact, electrons from the negatively charged object will transfer to the positively charged object, resulting in both objects having a neutral charge.

5. Can negative electric charge be created or destroyed?

No, negative electric charge cannot be created or destroyed. It can only be transferred from one object to another through the movement of electrons. This principle is known as the conservation of charge.