Hi guys. Imagine how dumb I feel for never having heard of this

• Thread starter Salamanca
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hi
In summary, the conversation discusses the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation and its applications in ionic equilibrium. The equation can be used in both acidic and basic buffers and involves logarithms. It is recommended to practice calculating simple logarithms to prepare for an upcoming exam where calculators are not allowed. The Henderson-Hasselbalch equation is a rearranged dissociation constant and will hold as long as equilibrium concentrations are used.
Salamanca
Hi guys. Imagine how dumb I feel for never having heard of this equation before today. I have a serious exam coming up and the only thing I know is that this will definitely be coming up.

I know it's applications, but I have no clue how to apply it proper. There are no calculators allowed and I don't know how to get a log.

Help? I'm pretty desperate here.

Chemistry news on Phys.org

this eqn. can be used not only in acidic and basic buffers but also in any equation involving ionic equilibrium.instead of the concentration of the salt you might also put the conc. of the ion of the electrolyte , still the eqn. holds good.
ph=pKa + log[salt]/[acid] or ph = pKa + log[anion]/[aci]d and so on.
learn to calculate simple logarithms.this will do the trick for the exam.practise 6 to 7 evaluations of log and u will be on.
all the best for your exam.

HH equation is just a rearranged dissociation constant, it HAS to hold, as long as you put equilibrium concentrations in it.

Hi there,

First of all, don't feel dumb for not having heard of this equation before. We all have different areas of expertise and it's normal to come across new concepts and equations that we haven't encountered before. The important thing is that you are now aware of it and can start learning about it.

As for your upcoming exam, if this equation is definitely going to be on it, then it's crucial that you understand it. One way to do this is by breaking down the equation and understanding each component. You can also try practicing with similar equations to get a better grasp of the concept.

Since calculators are not allowed, you will need to know how to solve the equation manually. This may involve using logarithms, which can be calculated using logarithm tables or by using the properties of logarithms. I suggest seeking help from your teacher or classmates to learn how to do this effectively.

Remember, practice makes perfect. Don't give up and keep working on understanding this equation. You got this! Good luck on your exam.

What is "Hi guys"?

"Hi guys" is a common greeting that is used to address a group of people, especially in informal settings. It is a way to acknowledge and show friendliness towards a group.

Why have I never heard of "Hi guys" before?

It is possible that you have not come across this phrase before due to cultural or regional differences. It may also depend on the social circles you are a part of. "Hi guys" is a relatively common phrase, but it may not be used in all contexts.

Is it wrong to use "Hi guys"?

It is not inherently wrong to use "Hi guys," but it is important to be aware of the potential exclusion of non-male individuals. Some people may find it more inclusive and respectful to use a gender-neutral greeting, such as "Hi everyone" or "Hi folks."

What are some alternatives to "Hi guys"?

There are many alternatives to "Hi guys" that can be used to address a group of people. Some examples include "Hello everyone," "Hey folks," "Greetings," or simply "Hello."

How can I be more inclusive in my language?

To be more inclusive in your language, it is important to be mindful of the potential impact of your words on others. Consider using gender-neutral language and addressing groups with inclusive terms like "everyone" or "folks." Additionally, it can be helpful to ask others for their preferred pronouns and use them accordingly.