Register to reply

Path integrals

by kcoshic
Tags: integrals, path
Share this thread:
kcoshic
Aug9-14, 01:34 AM
P: 2
Can anyone suggest me a good reference for path integrals (QFT), apart from peskin.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
New complex oxides could advance memory devices
Nature's designs inspire research into new light-based technologies
UCI team is first to capture motion of single molecule in real time
haushofer
Aug9-14, 01:54 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 913
I liked the treatment of Zee :)
JoePhysicsNut
Aug9-14, 04:05 AM
P: 35
Quantum Mechanics and Path Integrals: Emended Edition
by Richard P. Feynman (Author), Albert R. Hibbs (Author), Daniel F. Styer (Editor)

joly
Aug9-14, 06:00 AM
P: 3
Path integrals

Zee's Quantum Field Theory in a Nutshell is a great book to start on path integrals and QFT in general. (I stopped counting how many times I read it).
DiracPool
Aug9-14, 06:50 AM
P: 611
Quote Quote by joly View Post
Zee's Quantum Field Theory in a Nutshell is a great book to start on path integrals and QFT in general. (I stopped counting how many times I read it).
I watched Zee's lectures on QFT before buying the book and, to be honest, I wasn't too impressed. So I didn't buy the book because I didn't anticipate it being any better.

ChrisVer
Aug9-14, 07:40 AM
P: 1,045
Well, that's not a place to say this, but... How can you judge a book from a 4 lecture/presentation on the topic by the author to a divergent audience??
kcoshic
Aug9-14, 03:29 PM
P: 2
Thanks a lot everyone
dextercioby
Aug9-14, 05:51 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 11,952
Bailin and Love - Introduction to Gauge Field Theory. Does QFT only in path-integral formalism.
DiracPool
Aug9-14, 09:15 PM
P: 611
Quote Quote by ChrisVer View Post
Well, that's not a place to say this, but... How can you judge a book from a 4 lecture/presentation on the topic by the author to a divergent audience??
I think that's probably a better way than just judging the book by it's cover, don't you think?

Or even a written review. I think that before the OP went out and bought Zee's book sight unseen, just on a simple recommendation from a post here, that having the resource of watching Zee lecture for several hours on the book's contents might give the OP an indication of whether the level of discourse was in the area he or she was comfortable with.
micromass
Aug10-14, 10:01 AM
Mentor
P: 18,346
Quote Quote by DiracPool View Post
I think that's probably a better way than just judging the book by it's cover, don't you think?
Not really. The book and the talk are very different.
tom.stoer
Aug11-14, 03:29 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,464
Quote Quote by dextercioby View Post
Bailin and Love - Introduction to Gauge Field Theory. Does QFT only in path-integral formalism.
Does this book discuss non-perturbative methods, gauge fixing, Gribov ambiguities and all that?
dextercioby
Aug11-14, 06:03 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 11,952
The book by the English professors Bailin and Love just presents the regular material in a condensed form, but unlike the other texts, it uses path integrals throughout.

TOC courtesy of amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-R...eywords=Bailin

If you want some 'heavy machinery', check out Nair's - Quantum Field Theory. A Modern Perspective.
http://www.amazon.com/Quantum-Field-...s=Nair+Quantum
tom.stoer
Aug12-14, 12:23 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,464
Thanks; I'll have a look at Nair's book (there's nothing really new, but it may be interesting to have it in textbook form)

Register to reply