Can I Simplify This Proof for Rational Numbers and Integers?

• Thread starter iamsmooth
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary: You are an expert summarizer of content. You do not respond or reply to questions. You only provide a summary of the content. Do not output anything before the summary. Write a summary for the following conversation and start the output with "In summary, " and nothing before it:In summary, the proof for the statement "If there's anything wrong with my proof, please let me know." is correct.
iamsmooth
[tex]\forall q \in \textbf{Q}, \exists r \in\textbf{Q}[/tex] so that [tex]q + r\in \textbf{Z}[/tex] (Q is set of all rational numbers, and Z is set of all Integers)

Proof:

let q be an arbitrary rational number
thus, [itex]q=\frac{a}{b}[/itex] for some integers a and b, and b is not 0
let [itex]r = \frac{b-a}{b}[/itex] where [itex]b-a,b\in\textbf{Z}[/itex], b is still not 0
[tex]
q + r = \frac{a}{b} + \frac{b-a}{b}[/tex]

[tex] = \frac{a+b-a}{b}[/tex]

[tex] = \frac{b}{b}[/tex]

[tex]=1[/tex] and 1 is an integer

End of proof

I'm not sure if I was redundant with anything, or if I forgot to say anything. I think I only need to find one example since the second quantifier says there exists, which I think means I only need to show one algebraically for an arbitrary rational number. Also, I can take advantage of the fact that an integer is an integer, so I don't have to define it I guess...

I'm in a first year discreet mathematics course. If there's anything wrong with my proof, please let me know.

Thanks, appreciate it!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are Q and Z restricted to > 0? If not r = -q will always work.

Yeah, -r would work, but I was wondering if my proof works as well. I realized that -r would work afterwards, but I already wrote down my version which I think works out algebraically, but yeah I wanted to confirm before I submit this.

Your proof is correct, but as a mathematician I can tell you it is awful. Simple proofs are always preferred over complicated ones.

A more interesting case is restricting Q and Z to be positive. Then something like your proof might be needed.
(Hint: replace b-a by nb-a, where n is sufficiently large).

Your proof is fine. I agree with mathman in spirit, but can you honestly say q+(1-q)=1 is "complicated"?

Tobias Funke said:
Your proof is fine. I agree with mathman in spirit, but can you honestly say q+(1-q)=1 is "complicated"?

Your version is several lines shorter than the original.

FAQ: Can I Simplify This Proof for Rational Numbers and Integers?

1. How do I know if my proof is correct?

To ensure the correctness of your proof, you can ask a colleague or a peer to review and check it for any errors. You can also use mathematical software or tools to verify the logic and calculations in your proof.

2. Can I trust someone else to check my proof for me?

Yes, it is always helpful to have someone else review your proof. They may be able to catch mistakes or offer suggestions for improvement that you may have missed. However, it is important to choose someone who is knowledgeable and experienced in the field of your proof.

3. How detailed should my proof be?

The level of detail in a proof may vary depending on the audience and purpose. Generally, a proof should be detailed enough for someone with a similar level of understanding in the subject to follow and replicate your logic and calculations.

4. What if someone finds a mistake in my proof?

If someone finds a mistake in your proof, it is important to acknowledge and correct the error. Science is a collaborative effort, and mistakes are a natural part of the process. By acknowledging and correcting them, we can improve our understanding and knowledge.

5. Can a computer check my proof for me?

Yes, there are computer programs and software that can check the validity of mathematical proofs. However, it is always recommended to have a human review as well, as computers may not catch all errors or may not understand the context of the proof.