Supremum proof & relation to Universal quantifier

In summary, the conversation is discussing the manipulation of bound variables in a proof involving a supremum. The main question is why the variable ##\epsilon## is replaced with ##\frac{\epsilon}{s_A + s_B}## and how this is possible. The expert summarizer explains that this is because the proof must hold for every ##\epsilon## and the variable can be manipulated as long as the proof still holds. They also provide an example of how this can be done in a proof involving a supremum.
CGandC
TL;DR Summary
x
In the following proof:
1604086966233.png

I didn't understand the following part:
1604087047433.png

Isn't it supposed to be :
## a > s_A - \epsilon >0 ## and ## b > s_B - \epsilon >0 ##

Because to prove that ## s ## is a supremum, we need to prove the following:
For every ## \epsilon > 0 ## there exists ## m \in M ## such that ## m > s - \epsilon ## .

So In my proof, to represent the claim for ## a \in A ## I do the following:
Let ## \epsilon > 0 ## be arbitrary. Define ## m=a ## . Then we need to prove ## a > s_A - \epsilon ## . ( where ## s_A ## is my upper bound for ## A ## )

However, I didn't understand why they wrote ## \frac{\epsilon}{s_A + s_B} ## instead of ## \epsilon ## . They prove ## a > s_A - \frac{\epsilon}{s_A + s_B} ## but I don't understand how they replaced the ## \epsilon ## with ## \frac{\epsilon}{s_A + s_B} ## since the universal quantifier in the proof is on ## \epsilon ## and not on ## \frac{\epsilon}{s_A + s_B} ## . Can you please help me understand why they did this?

Note: I saw this kind of bound variable manipulation appearing also in the following:
## \forall n \in N ( n < s) ## is the same as ## \forall n \in N ( (n+1)<s ) ## ( 'N' is the natural numbers set , 's' is some free variable )
Why is this possible?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's just another ##\epsilon##, since it is supposed to hold for every ##\epsilon \gt 0##.

So in my proof I write as follows? :
Let ## \frac{\epsilon}{s_A + s_B} > 0 ## be arbitrary. Define ## m=a ## . Then we need to prove ## a > s_A - \frac{\epsilon}{s_A + s_B} ## . ( where ## s_A ## is my upper bound for ## A ## )

OR

Let ## \epsilon > 0 ## be arbitrary. Define ## m=a ## . Then we need to prove ## a > s_A - \frac{\epsilon}{s_A + s_B} ## . ( where ## s_A ## is my upper bound for ## A ## )

but these don't look correct. Can you please elaborate?

Why are you proving a is bigger than something? You're supposed to assume it. Let ##\delta = \frac{\epsilon}{s_a+s_b}##. Then since ##\delta>0##, there exists some ##a## such that ##s_a > a > s_a- \delta##.

Office_Shredder said:
Why are you proving a is bigger than something? You're supposed to assume it. Let ##\delta = \frac{\epsilon}{s_a+s_b}##. Then since ##\delta>0##, there exists some ##a## such that ##s_a > a > s_a- \delta##.

I was just giving an example of what I would write if I had to prove that given ## s_a ## is supremum given it is an upperbound. I'm trying to get used to math proofs.

So what you've done is you introduced 2 arbitrary variables, like so?:
Let ## \epsilon > 0 ## . Let ## \delta = \frac{\epsilon}{s_a+s_b} ##.
Then I write like you did:
Then since ## \delta > 0 ##, there exists some ## a ## such that ## s_a > a > s_a - \delta ##

Right. The idea is that you know ##s_a## is a supremum, so you can pick a as close as you want to it. In the definition of the supremum, "as close as you want" is defined to be ##\epsilon##, but in practice in proofs you typically have some other expression possibly involving a variable named ##\epsilon## that you use as your "as close as you want" number.

What is the definition of Supremum?

The Supremum, or least upper bound, of a set of numbers is the smallest number that is greater than or equal to all of the numbers in the set.

How is Supremum related to Universal quantifier?

The Supremum can be thought of as a universal quantifier, as it represents the "greatest possible" value in a set. This is similar to how the universal quantifier represents the "all" or "every" elements in a set.

What is the purpose of a Supremum proof?

A Supremum proof is used to show that a set has a Supremum, or to find the exact value of the Supremum. This is important in many mathematical proofs and can help to establish the properties and limits of a set.

What is the difference between Supremum and Maximum?

The Supremum is the smallest number that is greater than or equal to all of the numbers in a set, while the Maximum is the largest number in a set. The Maximum may or may not be a member of the set, while the Supremum must be a member of the set.

Can a set have multiple Supremums?

No, a set can only have one Supremum. If a set has multiple Supremums, then they must all be equal to each other. This is because the Supremum is the smallest number that is greater than or equal to all of the numbers in a set, so there can only be one smallest number.