Elastic collision with wall

In summary, the conversation discusses a ball of mass m colliding with a vertical wall at an angle theta_i, with a duration of collision delta t. The collision is completely elastic and the force exerted on the ball by the wall is parallel to the x axis. The question asks for the magnitude of the average force exerted on the ball by the wall, with a possible solution of F = (m*v_i*x)/delta t.
tigerseye
I'm stumped on this question:
A ball of mass m moving with velocity v_i strikes a vertical wall. The angle between the ball's initial velocity vector and the wall is theta_i as shown on the diagram. The duration of the collision between the ball and the wall is delta t, and this collision is completely elastic. Friction is negligible, so the ball does not start spinning. In this collision, the force exerted on the ball by the wall is parallel to the x axis.
What is the magnitude F of the average force exerted on the ball by the wall?

I ended with F=(m*(v_ix))/(Deltat) but I think I messed up the algebra somehow.

Attachments

• wall collision.jpg
    wall collision.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 796
Physics news on Phys.org
The change in momentum is twice the normal component of the incident ball's momentum.

It looks like you are on the right track with your equation for the average force exerted on the ball by the wall. However, there are a few things to consider in order to make sure your equation is correct.

First, let's define some variables to represent the given values in the problem. We have the mass of the ball, m, the initial velocity of the ball, v_i, the angle between the initial velocity and the wall, theta_i, and the duration of the collision, delta t. We also have the final velocity of the ball, v_f, which we can calculate using the conservation of energy and momentum in an elastic collision.

Next, we need to think about the direction of the force exerted by the wall on the ball. Since the collision is completely elastic, the ball will bounce off the wall with the same speed and direction as it had before the collision. This means that the force exerted by the wall on the ball must be in the opposite direction of the initial velocity, and thus parallel to the x-axis.

Now, let's look at the equation you provided: F=(m*(v_ix))/(Deltat). This is close, but we need to make a few adjustments. First, we need to use the final velocity in our equation, as this is the velocity at the moment of impact with the wall. So our equation becomes F=(m*(v_fx))/(Deltat). Next, we need to consider the angle between the initial velocity and the x-axis, which we can find using trigonometry. The x-component of the initial velocity is v_i*cos(theta_i), so our final equation becomes F=(m*(v_i*cos(theta_i)))/(Deltat).

I hope this helps guide you in the right direction. Remember to always carefully consider the given information and the direction of forces in order to properly set up your equations. Good luck!

What is an elastic collision with wall?

An elastic collision with wall is a type of collision in which two objects collide with each other and bounce off without losing any kinetic energy. In this type of collision, the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved.

How is an elastic collision with wall different from an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision is a type of collision in which two objects collide and stick together, resulting in a loss of kinetic energy. This is different from an elastic collision where the objects bounce off each other without any loss of kinetic energy.

What factors affect the outcome of an elastic collision with wall?

The outcome of an elastic collision with wall is affected by various factors such as the mass, velocity, and angle of the colliding objects, as well as the elasticity of the wall and the surface on which the collision occurs.

Can an elastic collision with wall occur between objects of different masses?

Yes, an elastic collision with wall can occur between objects of different masses. In this case, the heavier object will experience a smaller change in velocity compared to the lighter object, but the total kinetic energy of the system will still be conserved.

How is the coefficient of restitution related to elastic collision with wall?

The coefficient of restitution is a measure of the elasticity of a collision. In an elastic collision with wall, the coefficient of restitution is equal to 1, indicating a perfectly elastic collision where there is no loss of kinetic energy.