Elastic collision -- Energy & Momentum

In summary: M2) ...use two equations to find the velocities after the collision3) ...conservation of momentum: MVi + 0 = MVf +mvf4) ...energy conservation: V0 + Vf = v0 + vfIn summary, the velocity of the larger ball after the collision is 3/4 of its initial velocity.
Deadawake

Homework Statement

MbPWPXB

Please see the attached photo. (down)
Hminitial= 1.5R
M = 2/3m
Perfectly elastic collision

What is the velocity of object m immidiatly after the collision? (by m,g,R)

Homework Equations

Conservation of energy
Conservation of momentum

The Attempt at a Solution

I assumed that because of the elastic collision the M object bounce back, so I considered positive velocity to the right and negative to the left (when we're looking exactly on the collision moments)

First I found the "before the collision" velocity of the falling ball M (with conservation of energy) which is (3Rg)

Now I used two equation to find the velocities after the collision :

Conservation of momentum: MVi + 0 = MVf +mvf
Conservation of energy: V0 + Vf = v0 + vf

After some work I get :
Vf = ⅓⋅√(3Rg)
vf = 4⋅√(3Rg) / 3

It seems make sense when the speed of the small ball got higher and the big ball, which bounced backward, slower .

But in the other hand I know that the M velocity after the collision has to be negative. because it bounced back!, perfectly elastic collision...
But I got 2 positive answers!

when I try to change the direction/sign (to minus) of the variable MVf on the first equation I get different and not logical answer (Vf = √(3Rg) ) , like the bigger ball didn't lost energy at all while it was giving energy to the smaller ball...

Please some help :)

Thanks.

Attachments

• Question1.jpg
    Question1.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 341
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Deadawake said:
But in the other hand I know that the M velocity after the collision has to be negative. because it bounced back!, perfectly elastic collision...
That's not true. They have to "bounce apart" (not stick together) and conserve kinetic energy, but the first mass needn't reverse direction. Imagine that first mass being 100 times more massive. Is it likely that hitting a small mass would make it move backwards?

Doc Al said:
That's not true. They have to "bounce apart" (not stick together) and conserve kinetic energy, but the first mass needn't reverse direction. Imagine that first mass being 100 times more massive. Is it likely that hitting a small mass would make it move backwards?
You right. So basically the answers tell me that the bigger mass in this case didn't move backwards, It continued forward with third of its velocity?

Deadawake said:
You right. So basically the answers tell me that the bigger mass in this case didn't move backwards, It continue forward with third of its velocity?
Right!

Doc Al said:
Right!
Thank you very much.
For some reason I thought it needs to bounce backwards.

Deadawake said:
Thank you very much.
For some reason I thought it needs to bounce backwards.
In a perfectly elastic head-on collision with a stationary object, the incomng object will bounce back if, and only if, it is lighter than the other. If they are equal it will come to rest.

Deadawake said:

After some work I get :
Vf = ⅓⋅√(3Rg)
vf = 4⋅√(3Rg) / 3
Your result is not correct.

ehild said:
Your result is not correct.
What am I missing?

Deadawake said:
What am I missing?
I do not know without seeing your work in detail.
The numerical values do not fulfill the equations for conservation of momentum and energy.

Likes Doc Al
Yikes, ehild is right! :oldeek:

Deadawake said:
That equation for conservation of energy is incorrect.

Deadawake said:
After some work I get :
Vf = ⅓⋅√(3Rg)
vf = 4⋅√(3Rg) / 3
Thus these results are incorrect.

Fix your conservation of energy equation and resolve.

Thanks to ehild for paying attention!

(Sorry for not checking your work earlier!)

Doc Al said:
That equation for conservation of energy is incorrect.
It is correct, if Vi stands for V0 and vi stands for v0 in
V0 + Vf = v0 + vf

Capital letters refer to the big ball, small case letters mean the velocities of the small ball.

Likes Doc Al
ehild said:
It is correct, if Vi stands for V0 and vi stands for v0 in
V0 + Vf = v0 + vf

Capital letters refer to the big ball, small case letters mean the velocities of the small ball.
Once again, ehild is correct (as always). :bow:

(That equation isn't a statement of energy conservation only, but is a result of energy conservation plus momentum conservation.)

@Deadawake: You must have made an algebra/computational error; try it once more.

Doc Al said:
Once again, ehild is correct (as always).
This is not true :redface:

Doc Al said:
Once again, ehild is correct (as always). :bow:

(That equation isn't a statement of energy conservation only, but is a result of energy conservation plus momentum conservation.)

@Deadawake: You must have made an algebra/computational error; try it once more.

Correct. this statement is result of conservation of energy and momentum equations.
Vbefore collision = √(3Rg)

1)
MV0 + 0 = MVf+mvf

⇒ 1.5mV0 = 1.5mVf +mvf
⇒ vf = 1.5⋅√(3Rg) - 1.5Vf

2)
V0 + Vf = v0 + vf
⇒ √(3Rg) +Vf = 0 +vf
⇒vf = √(3Rg) +Vf

⇒⇒⇒√(3Rg) +Vf = 1.5⋅√(3Rg) - 1.5Vf
⇒⇒⇒2.5Vf = 0.5⋅√(3Rg) →here was my error. I wrote 1.5 instead of 2.5
⇒⇒⇒Vf = 0.2√(3Rg)
⇒⇒⇒vf = √(3Rg) +0.2√(3Rg) = 1.2√(3Rg)

Last edited:
Deadawake said:
⇒⇒⇒Vf = 0.2√(3Rg)
⇒⇒⇒vf = √(3Rg) +0.2√(3Rg) = 1.2√(3Rg)
Good. My answers agree with yours.

Some other question is - What height does the small mass ball reach after the collision? (hf)
(Just a reminder - we are talking about vertical standing circle/ring...)
So I have the initial speed of the small ball (after the collision) and I can use conservation of energy
½mv02 = mghf
½m⋅(1.2√3gh)2 = mghf
½⋅1.44⋅(3Rg) = g⋅hf
hf = 2.16⋅R

We know that the radius of the circle is R , so the maximum possible height is 2R.
Then the answer tells me that the small mass has enough energy to reach the top of the circle and a bit more.
The cunclusion is that the small ball will get to the maximum height which is 2R.
Am I right?

Sounds good to me.

Likes Deadawake

What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision between two objects in which both energy and momentum are conserved. This means that the total kinetic energy and total momentum of the system remains constant before and after the collision.

How is energy conserved in an elastic collision?

In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. This means that the sum of the kinetic energies of the two objects before the collision is equal to the sum of their kinetic energies after the collision.

How is momentum conserved in an elastic collision?

In an elastic collision, the total momentum of the system is conserved. This means that the sum of the momentums of the two objects before the collision is equal to the sum of their momentums after the collision.

What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

In an elastic collision, both energy and momentum are conserved, while in an inelastic collision, only momentum is conserved. In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is lost in the form of heat, sound, or deformation of the objects involved.

What factors affect the outcome of an elastic collision?

The outcome of an elastic collision can be affected by the masses and velocities of the objects involved. The angle of collision and the coefficient of restitution (a measure of how bouncy the objects are) can also impact the outcome of the collision.