Symmetry of Spatial Wavefunctions

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of symmetry and antisymmetry in quantum mechanics, specifically in relation to the exchange operator and its effect on wavefunctions. The speakers also mention the role of phase factors in determining the state of a system and how they can change with time, leading to the non-stationarity of superpositions of energy eigenstates.
cooev769
I know about symmetry and antisymmetry and so on, but a thought that I had never considered just hit me. If we had two fermions in the triplet symmetric spin state and hence therefore an antisymmetric spatial state, for example a harmonic oscillator in the first excited state must be one in state n and one in k:

psi = 1/(sqr root 2)( n1k2 - n2k1 )

But this wavefunction is clearly different from

psi = 1/(sqr root 2)( n2k1 - n1k2 )

Clearly it is just the exchange operator applied to the wave function, i can see that the expectation values will always be the same, so can you just choose how you order these and in which order they go?

Physics news on Phys.org
The two functions are identical up to a phase factor -1. Wavefunctions differing only by a phase factor ##\exp(i\phi)## with phi independent of coordinates describe the same state as the phase factor cancels out when forming the expectation value of any operator.

As I thought. But I'm not quite sure what a phase factor is or where it is coming from.

A phase factor is simply a complex number of unit absolute value whence they can be expressed in polar coordinates as ##r\exp{i\phi}## with r=1. The angle phi is often called phase as we have a wave picture in mind. You can check that the time dependent Schrödinger equation changes the phase of an eigenstate with time. However, the phase of different eigenstates changes differently with time, so that a superposition of energy eigenstates will not be stationary.

Related to Symmetry of Spatial Wavefunctions

1. What is the concept of symmetry in spatial wavefunctions?

The concept of symmetry in spatial wavefunctions refers to the way in which the wavefunction of a quantum system behaves under certain transformations, such as rotations, reflections, or translations. The symmetry of a wavefunction can provide important information about the physical properties of the system.

2. How is symmetry related to the conservation of energy and momentum in quantum systems?

The laws of conservation of energy and momentum are closely related to the symmetry of spatial wavefunctions. In quantum systems, the energy and momentum operators commute with the symmetry operators, meaning that the symmetry of the wavefunction is preserved under these transformations. This leads to the conservation of energy and momentum in the system.

3. What are the different types of symmetry in spatial wavefunctions?

There are three main types of symmetry in spatial wavefunctions: translational symmetry, rotational symmetry, and reflection symmetry. Translational symmetry refers to the invariance of the wavefunction under translations in space. Rotational symmetry refers to the invariance of the wavefunction under rotations around a fixed point. Reflection symmetry refers to the invariance of the wavefunction under reflections across a plane.

4. How is symmetry used in the analysis of quantum systems?

Symmetry is a powerful tool in the analysis of quantum systems. By studying the symmetry of a wavefunction, scientists can make predictions about the energy levels, allowed transitions, and other properties of the system. Additionally, symmetry can be used to simplify complex systems and make calculations more manageable.

5. What are some real-world applications of the symmetry of spatial wavefunctions?

The concept of symmetry in spatial wavefunctions has numerous applications in various fields of science and technology. For example, it is used in quantum chemistry to predict the properties of molecules and in solid-state physics to understand the behavior of crystals. Symmetry is also important in the development of new materials and technologies, such as in the design of photonic crystals and nanoelectronic devices.