Estimating the rate at which the total personal income of a town is rising

In summary: The "Product Rule" tells you that the growth rate of the product is the sum of the product of the first and the growth rate of the second plus the product of the second and the growth rate of the first. That is, the total income is the population times the average income, so the growth rate of the total income is the population times the growth rate of the average income plus the average income times the growth rate of the population. Just plug in the numbers and you're done.In summary, we are estimating the rate at which total personal income is rising in the Richmond-Petersburg, Virginia, metropolitan area in 1999. This can be done using the Product Rule, which states that the growth rate of
illjazz

Homework Statement

In this exercise we estimate the rate at which the total personal income is rising in the Richmond-Petersburg, Virginia, metropolitan area. In 1999, the population of this area was 961,400, and the population was increasing at roughly 9200 people per year. The average annual income was $30,593 per capita, and this average was increasing at about $1400 per year (a little above the national average of about $1225 yearly). Use the Product Rule and these figures to estimate the rate at which total personal income was rising in the Richmond-Petersburg area in 1999. Explain the meaning of each term in the Product Rule.

Homework Equations

Product Rule: (fg)' = fg' + gf'

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't gotten very far at all. I've taken all the figures given and written them out into a table, like so:

year: 1999
population: 961,400
population growth: 9200 people/year
avg. annual income per capita: $30,593
avg. income growth: $1400/year
national avg. income growth: $1225/year

So that's what's given. I'm told I need to use the Power Rule, which I understand. What I do not understand is where to begin. I tried to see what f(x) and g(x) will be here but can't wrap my head around it.

Pointers would be appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
illjazz said:

Homework Statement

In this exercise we estimate the rate at which the total personal income is rising in the Richmond-Petersburg, Virginia, metropolitan area. In 1999, the population of this area was 961,400, and the population was increasing at roughly 9200 people per year. The average annual income was $30,593 per capita, and this average was increasing at about $1400 per year (a little above the national average of about $1225 yearly). Use the Product Rule and these figures to estimate the rate at which total personal income was rising in the Richmond-Petersburg area in 1999. Explain the meaning of each term in the Product Rule.

Homework Equations

Product Rule: (fg)' = fg' + gf'

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't gotten very far at all. I've taken all the figures given and written them out into a table, like so:

year: 1999
population: 961,400
population growth: 9200 people/year
avg. annual income per capita: $30,593
avg. income growth: $1400/year
national avg. income growth: $1225/year

So that's what's given. I'm told I need to use the Power Rule, which I understand. What I do not understand is where to begin. I tried to see what f(x) and g(x) will be here but can't wrap my head around it.

Pointers would be appreciated. Thanks!
Who told you you need to use a power rule? I don't see any application of it here. As you say, the product rule is (fg)'= f'g+ fg'. You are given population and population growth rate and you are given average income and its growth rate. Total income is population*average income. The obvious thing to do is take f= population, g= average income. Of course, f' and g' then are the growth rates.

What is the importance of estimating the rate of total personal income rise in a town?

Estimating the rate at which the total personal income of a town is rising is crucial for understanding the economic growth and development of the town. It can provide insights into the overall financial well-being of the residents and the health of the local economy.

What factors affect the rate of total personal income rise in a town?

There are several factors that can impact the rate at which the total personal income of a town is rising. Some of these include the growth of local businesses, employment opportunities, inflation, and government policies related to taxes and wages.

How is the rate of total personal income rise in a town calculated?

The rate of total personal income rise in a town is typically calculated by comparing the total personal income of the town for a specific period, such as a year, to the previous period. The difference between the two amounts is then divided by the previous period's income and multiplied by 100 to get the percentage change.

How can the rate of total personal income rise in a town be used to inform decision-making?

The estimated rate of total personal income rise in a town can be used by policymakers, businesses, and individuals to make informed decisions. It can be helpful in planning for future investments, setting wages and prices, and identifying potential economic opportunities or challenges.

What are some limitations of estimating the rate of total personal income rise in a town?

While estimating the rate of total personal income rise in a town can provide valuable information, there are some limitations to consider. These can include data inaccuracies, changes in population, and factors not accounted for in the calculation, such as underground economy activities or income inequality.