Time Dilation: Impact on GPS Accuracy

In summary, the GPS system would not be very accurate if used in an instantaneous moment because of the differences in clocks and the effects of time dilation.
nordqvist11
Hey there guys I just have a question to ask some of you. Given the occurence of time dilation being related to an objects state of motion I have an interesting thought.

This is a very general question, my teacher only briefly covered this topic in class as it's not part of our course but it intrigued me. If I am traveling at a speed of .99 C in a plane around the Earth and I am hooked up to a GPS which shows me my location on the map in my plane, relevant to my position in an instantaneous moment would the GPS be precise?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

I think you mean time dilation? I have never heard of time distillation before. And I believe yes but someone correct me if I am wrong

Your plane will be circling the Earth about eight orbits per second...
To do that your plane will need to point almost to the center of the Earth and your direction of motion will be almost perpendicular to the floor of the plane in the cabin roof direction ("up" from your seat).
This will make for some peculiar effects:
A phenomenal G force directed to the rear of the plane ("back" into your seat).
An orbit frequency making GPS too fast to read by eye
Length contraction of the Earth in the vertical (floor to ceiling) corresponding to the latitudinal direction of the Earth (if your plane is in an equatorial orbit).
Also, if you used a high speed camera or computer link to read the GPS display, the delay in transmission of signal would be a not insignificant contribution to measurement error.

But all these things aside, as a thought problem, I think the actual GPS system is supposed to work in theory even under these extremes.

nordqvist11 said:
Hey there guys I just have a question to ask some of you. Given the occurence of time dilation being related to an objects state of motion I have an interesting thought.

This is a very general question, my teacher only briefly covered this topic in class as it's not part of our course but it intrigued me.

If I am traveling at a speed of .99 C in a plane around the Earth and I am hooked up to a GPS which shows me my location on the map in my plane, relevant to my position in an instantaneous moment would the GPS be precise?

No. For one, a normal GPS would likely not even work. Your high velocity with respect to the satellites would cause a large Doppler shift in the signals to the point that would your GPS receiver would not pick them up.

Secondly, Your receiver clock would be running much slower than the GPS clock. Since calculation of position requires a comparison between receiver clock and the time index it receives from the satellite and then using difference between these times and the speed of light to tell how far the receiver is from the satellite, and this requires both clocks to run at the same rate, you would not get an accurate answer.

and Third, even if you corrected for this time rate difference, by the time you got the information that you were x kilometers from satellite n, the information would be obsolete. It would take a minimum of .067 sec for the signal to reach you, by which time you will have moved almost 20,000 km, or ~1/2 the way around the world.

Janus said:
No. For one, a normal GPS would likely not even work. Your high velocity with respect to the satellites would cause a large Doppler shift in the signals to the point that would your GPS receiver would not pick them up.

Secondly, Your receiver clock would be running much slower than the GPS clock. Since calculation of position requires a comparison between receiver clock and the time index it receives from the satellite and then using difference between these times and the speed of light to tell how far the receiver is from the satellite, and this requires both clocks to run at the same rate, you would not get an accurate answer.

and Third, even if you corrected for this time rate difference, by the time you got the information that you were x kilometers from satellite n, the information would be obsolete. It would take a minimum of .067 sec for the signal to reach you, by which time you will have moved almost 20,000 km, or ~1/2 the way around the world.

Really great stuff, thanks a lot.

1. What is time dilation and how does it impact GPS accuracy?

Time dilation refers to the phenomenon where time moves slower for an object in motion compared to a stationary object. This concept is a fundamental principle in Einstein's theory of relativity. In the case of GPS satellites, their high speeds cause time to dilate, resulting in a difference in the time measured on the satellite compared to the time on Earth. This difference, although small, can significantly impact the accuracy of GPS measurements.

2. How much of an impact does time dilation have on GPS accuracy?

The impact of time dilation on GPS accuracy is significant. Without accounting for time dilation, GPS accuracy would be off by around 11 kilometers per day. This is equivalent to an error of 10 nanoseconds per day, which may seem small but can lead to a difference of several meters in position calculations.

3. How is time dilation accounted for in GPS technology?

Time dilation is accounted for in GPS technology through a method called relativistic correction. This involves adjusting the clocks on the GPS satellites to compensate for the time dilation effect. The clocks on the satellites are slowed down by a factor of around 7 microseconds per day, to match the time on Earth.

4. Are there any other factors that can impact GPS accuracy?

Yes, there are other factors that can impact GPS accuracy, such as atmospheric interference, satellite orbit errors, and receiver errors. However, time dilation is one of the most significant factors that need to be accounted for to ensure accurate GPS readings.

5. Can time dilation impact other types of technology besides GPS?

Yes, time dilation can impact other types of technology as well, especially those that rely on precise timing for their functioning. This includes technologies such as satellite communication, stock exchange systems, and high-speed transportation systems. Time dilation must be taken into account in these technologies to ensure their accuracy and efficiency.