Force, Mass, and Acceleration Questions

In summary, if you decrease the force, and the acceleration remains constant, the mass will decrease.
Kelt
I have about five questions here that I'm clueless about and need help with.

A. If mass increases and acceleration remains the same, force will _____?
B. If acceleration decreases and mass remains the same, force will _____?
C. If force increases and mass remains the same, acceleration will _____?
D.If force decreases and acceleration remains the same, mass will _____?

I'm not the best at science, and I've tried to give this thought, but I left my notes at school and can't get them until tomorrow (which is when this whole assignment is due.)

I know the answers are in my notes, but I can't access them.

I made an attempt guess at number 1, guessing that force will slow down.

Physics news on Phys.org
force = mass * acceleration is all you need for this.

What does Newton's Second Law say, that the force is proportional to the mass and acceleration?

A. If mass increases and acceleration remains the same, force will _____?

If you don't know just do what the problem says:
Say you start off with a force of 10N, and acceleration of 5m/s/s, and a mass of 2kg.
The problem asks if the mass increases while acceleration is constant, what will happen to the force. So just keep the same acceleration (5m/s/s) and multiply it by a mass that is greater the 2kg, since your mass increased. Did the Net Force get bigger or smaller? You can do this for all of them if you need to.

Thanks! That was useful, I think I've got three of the answers now. But not the last one...

Kelt said:
Thanks! That was useful, I think I've got three of the answers now. But not the last one...

Consider the equation f=ma. If you decrease the force, and the acceleration remains constant, what happens to the mass? Try putting some numbers in if you're not sure.

1. What is the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration?

The relationship between force, mass, and acceleration is defined by Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that force is equal to mass multiplied by acceleration (F=ma). This means that the greater the mass of an object, the more force is required to accelerate it, and the greater the acceleration, the more force is needed to produce it.

2. How does mass affect an object's acceleration?

The mass of an object directly affects its acceleration. Objects with larger masses require more force to accelerate them compared to objects with smaller masses. This is because more massive objects have more inertia, or resistance to change in their state of motion.

3. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass and weight are often used interchangeably, but they are actually two different concepts. Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is the measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass stays the same regardless of location, but an object's weight changes depending on the strength of gravity.

4. How does force affect an object's motion?

Force is what causes an object to accelerate, change direction, or stop. According to Newton's First Law of Motion, an object at rest will stay at rest, and an object in motion will stay in motion at a constant velocity, unless acted upon by an external force. This means that a force is needed to change the motion of an object.

5. How do you calculate force, mass, and acceleration?

Force, mass, and acceleration can be calculated using the formula F=ma, where F represents force in Newtons, m represents mass in kilograms, and a represents acceleration in meters per second squared. This formula can be rearranged to solve for any of the three variables, depending on the given values.